Close

Disconnect Between 3D Printing Hardware and Software

Chris Elsworthy, CEO of Robox, takes a look at the differences in the development levels of the hardware and software involved in the 3D printing space. While low-cost, high-quality 3D printers are becoming a reality, particularly in the desktop realm, CAD software isn't quite as accessible to many users. While makers are able to download designs from communities such as Thingiverse and Shapeways, they aren't always able to adjust the design to their custom needs, and thus settle for a design that might be almost, but not quite, what they were looking for. For some insight into the disparity between the hardware and software spaces, check out Elsworthy's insights: http://3dprint.com/47718/3d-printer-hardware-software/

Student
    Follow murali8051 On Twitter
    Great article by Chris, hiring designers for creating small replacement parts has worked out great for me. Let ME's and designers retain their jobs, Autodesk and other great tools empower them to create custom parts faster which means the end consumer would get the model designed at a much lower cost !

Regards,
    Murali

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Chris Elsworthy, CEO of Robox, takes a look at the differences in the development levels of the hardware and software involved in the 3D printing space. While low-cost, high-quality 3D printers are becoming a reality, particularly in the desktop realm, CAD software isn't quite as accessible to many users. While makers are able to download designs from communities such as Thingiverse and Shapeways, they aren't always able to adjust the design to their custom needs, and thus settle for a design that might be almost, but not quite, what they were looking for. For some insight into the disparity between the hardware and software spaces, check out Elsworthy's insights: http://3dprint.com/47718/3d-printer-hardware-software/

I don't want to beat this topic to death but I totally agree! I think that CAD software has focused way too much on how to make more money off enterprises then how to make CAD software accessible to people. I use the professional programs at my job everyday and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't wonder if the developers of these programs ever actually use them! They have added so many integrations with all the enterprise applications that the software just isn't very usable anymore. I can't imagine that their are more than two people in the whole world that actual use all the integrations of Creo. Simplifying the feature ses down to something immediately accessible like Tinkercad is a great step in the right direction for kids. Great software needs to be written by programmers that are intimately knowledgable about their user's experience with their software. Cubify Design seems like another good step in the right direction but still too expensive for most people. I am going to change that soon ! As a product designer first and a programmer second I am rethinking the 3D Design user experience from the ground up. You shouldn't have to remove features or hide options in order to make something intuitive for users. Check out opensight3d.com for more info or cast your vote using the survey below for what features you think 3D printing software needs most.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2020313/opensight3dpoll

Student
    I don't need a survey, just Cubify Invent, best $49 I have ever spent for any software and I own a digital wood shop! Russ