Close

Senior Engineer

Print temperature

I made a Gcode file (attached) It is just a cylinder, 50 mm high print temperature 220 to start then increasing by 1 degree every 15 layers so ends up at 235 (ish).

I expected to see a change in the appearance of the cylinder but for the whole height it looks the same even under a microscope.

I think I should tried 235 to 250 maybe. Anyone else fancy trying it with ABS to see if it shows the best temperature for that particular filament, that is what I was trying achieve.

If you do try it you will have to edit the Gcode for your bed temperature, it is currently set to 55 so will need increasing for ABS. In fact you should check all of the start gcode to make sure it's not going to do anything to your printer that you don't want.

I tried uploading as gcode and as text but it only works as a zip file, sorry about that. I have no idea why the board won't allow text files as attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I adjust temp not just on looks, but on how strong the part is and how hard the layers are to seperate. Also adjust if the extruder clicks, usually isn't hot enough. I run all my abs so far at 235, but have gone higher for one brand that needed more heat to fully fuse.

Technician
    If you want to improve quality run it at high quality (slow setting)

Senior Engineer
    Well I changed the file to go 215 to 250 and there is no discernible difference in the print.

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    That is an interesting experiment. Maybe the farther you get away from the bed, the less difference temperature makes? Wonder if you had it go from hot to cooler temps it would be the same. I've always printed abs in the range of 225-235. Only time I raise it higher than that is to get a clog out of my nozzle. But there are a few brands of filament that I have never gotten to print right for me, despite the fact that they are brands other flashforge users swear by (like Hatbox for example). I wonder if it's a temperature issue.

Senior Engineer
    The bed makes no difference on my printer, it is not heated.