Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

3d printer for metals and their accuracy

I am looking into possibly buying a 3d printer for printing in metal or ceramics.
    The parts that I need to print are very small (less than 3mm square by less than 1 mm thick) they have very small features (protrusions) that are about 100 microns square.
    I need to have an accuracy of +/- 20 microns or better.

Am I dreaming or is this now possible?
    If so, who sells the machines that are capable of this and at what price range?

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

With that level of detail, you're looking at Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) or Direct Metal Printing (DMP) / Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS), which will run into many tens of thousands or even more (I'm not that familiar with the price range, but it's right up there). Couple of providers include http://www.3dsystems.com and http://www.solidconcepts.com (a quick google search for "metal SLS printer" or "DMP printer" or "DMLS printer" will give you a few results).

A cheaper option may be to use a wax SLS printer and lost wax casting, but I don't know what level of detail you'll be able to get out of the casting process. You might be able to find one that fits your bill for under $10K.

Staff Engineer
    Who makes a wax SLS printer for under $10k?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Who makes a wax SLS printer for under $10k?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    My bad. SLA, not SLS.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    I'm not aware of any metal printers that can provide reasonable quality prints at that size. Metal printers tend to leave too much cleanup for small parts, which effect tolerances. I'm waiting for the day when I can print watch parts for my mechanical watches, but I don't think that day has arrived just yet.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you want to look at the jewellery printers. Specificially designed for small highly detailed prints.

Either lost wax moulds or direct printing.
    http://envisiontec.com/applications/jewelry/

have a wade through that lot :-)

http://www.inside3dp.com/new-industr...nting-jewelry/
    Worth looking at - but be aware you're going to need long arms and deep pockets :-)

Thanks for your help!
    I've looked at the links provided, none of these machines have the accuracy that I need, even the one for jewelry only has a resolution of 0.25mm. High resolution means low accuracy.

Maybe 3d printers are not yet up to the task that I have.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Quote Originally Posted by danr View Post
    ...High resolution means low accuracy.
    Say what? High resolution usually means high accuracy. What did i miss?

No they are not the same. Resolution is in the case of most 3D printers is the number steps for X-Y and layer height for Z. Accuracy is related to how close you can come and how often to where you want to be. Two printers might have the same resolution. But due to slop, backlash, how rigid it is, and other factors can have wildly different accuracies.

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    Say what? High resolution usually means high accuracy. What did i miss?

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    I get that. If two printers have the same resolution it doesn't necessarily follow that they both have the same accuracy, but a generalization saying that 'high resolution means low accuracy' isn't right either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast