Close

Need advice on how to remove parts off build plate for FFCP

Well with about a week of printing under my belt with the FlashForge Creator Pro I have one problem that is driving me crazy. I load the print up and every thing goes great. The biggest problem I am having is trying to get the part off the build plate with out breaking the part or the printer. It is sticking too good. I even left one printer on there for about 4 hours after it finished and still had a hard time removing it.

I use Simplify 3d to slice and the best way I have found to get the print off easy is to raise it 2mm off the bed and add a raft and supports. That works well but I am using a lot more filament that I want to use. I have had to replace the Kapton tape twice already which is a PITA. Any advice on how to remove the part with out ripping the kapton tape or breaking my printer or the part? I do have two sheets of glass for the bed order from FlashForge that should be here later this week.

Thanks.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I use a flexible wall paper scraper - got 5 from poundland. Really thin flexible metal.

The other thing I use is duck brand blue painters tape.

I never had any problems removing abs - mind you I could only print it with a raft as it didn't stick without.

The other thing you might try is a freezing spray, you can buy them in most plumbing supply shops.
    Spray the bottom of the print and it shrinks, which should pop it off the build plate.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I use a flexible wall paper scraper - got 5 from poundland. Really thin flexible metal.

The other thing I use is duck brand blue painters tape.

I never had any problems removing abs - mind you I could only print it with a raft as it didn't stick without.

The other thing you might try is a freezing spray, you can buy them in most plumbing supply shops.
    Spray the bottom of the print and it shrinks, which should pop it off the build plate.

Thanks. I will give the freezing spray a try. I have a few scrapers of different sizes. The problem is I can't even get them under the part. I have glass on it's way that I ordered from FlashForge should get it Wednesday.

Engineer-in-Training
    Couple options without glass:

1) freezing spray and/or can of air held upside down pointed at the bottom of the print - this works awesome but on thinner prints if you hit it too soon it can permanently warp the part
    2) scraper as mentioned
    3) small rubber mallet - often times prints that were impossible for me to remove no matter how hard I tried popped right off when I whacked them with a mallet. not hard enough to damage the print obviously but with some force behind it. Flicking it with your finger might also work but gets painful after a while

With a glass bed:
    1) all of the above
    2) remove glass from printer and place it in the freezer. Wait 2-10 minutes depending on the print and it will come right off.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pla and blue tape = no hassle :-)
    Just saying :-)

Student
    I know exactly what you mean. A removable glass bed upgrade was my answer to this and it works great because you can pull the bed out of the printer and yank on it outside your Flashforge. I also like PET tape (for ABS) and ABS juice combo for ABS prints. Sticks good and releases well too. For PLA I've found hairspray on the glass bed with a a bed temp of 70C is great. Sticks good and releases well. If you want more info on the glass bed I have a project on my website showing how to do it. I'm thinking about making a video too I can share when it's ready if you're interested

http://makersome.com/project/717/

Student
    Good old trusty blue painters tape is a great option for a non heated bed for PLA like aardvark said.

Student
    You won't regret getting the glass, I have not looked back since, transformation of an already great machine