Close

Technologist

Wheel not touching open beam on X-Carriage mount.

Hi there my x-carriage wheel 1 on each side is seem to not be touching the beam. I got pictures that explain what am saying. Has anyone encounter this before and how did you fixed it. Picture having problem uploading to the site. http://imgur.com/GYmLstR,C1T1Rfy,THK...iWCG,tLjrx2P#0 . I have adjusted the eccentric spacer but it seem not to fix it. Also loosen the x carriage screws and push on it and still seem to not fix it. Also took the x carriage off and back on with the same nut thread on the threaded rod. What you guys think I need to do to fix it. When it moves up or down it does not roll.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Something about your X-carriage assembly is out of alignment. It either isn't level to the frame or the X motor mount was off-angle before it was tightened to the v-rails. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

One way to see if the x-carriage is level to the frame is to check for an equal distance between the Y and X rails on the left, and the Y and X rails on the right.

If the X-rails are level to the Y-rails, the issue almost has to be in how the X motor mount was tightened to the X-rails. Clearance for the bolt holes in the X motor mount and the X idler mount can allow them to be off-kilter a bit when their bolts are tightened. One way to check this is to use something like a yardstick or thin metal strip as a straightedge laid the top edges of both the X motor mount and the X idler mount. With the X-rails level, the straightedge should sit evenly and flat on both brackets. I used a straightedge approach like this to make sure the X motor mount and X idler mount were lined up when I tightened up the four M5 bolts on each bracket.

If you have to readjust things, be sure to rotate the eccentric spacer to the "loose" setting so that it doesn't create a bind that affects the alignment.

BTW - the picture size limit on 3DPrintBoard is 800x600 pixels. That's likely the cause of the errors you were getting on your high-res photos.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    I have the same issue. my x carriage is level in relation to the y bed rails and the top wood frame piece.

First option: I ordered a second eccentric bearing for the top wheel on each side.

Second option - loosen all 8 bolts holding the X extrusions to the two ends of the carriage, drop the left side down a mm or so, and retighten. then when the assembly is retightened and re-leveled, the top idler wheels will be moved right, closer to the extrusions. As mentioned, the right side eccentrics need to be loosened and readjusted as part of this process. There are holes in the frame that help with this, but it involves removing the power supply for me, PITA.

the third choice is to raise the left hand side of the carriage to rotate the whole thing to bring the top idler wheels to bear. And then adjust the bed to match. I have a hard time making things unlevel to make them work so I'll probably do one of the other options.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I have another thought on an alignment process...

Start with all eight of the M5 bolts attaching the two X axis v-rails to the X motor mount and the X idler mount loose. Loose enough that the X motor mount and the X idler mount can move fairly independently from each other on the Z axis rails. I'd also start with the eccentric spacer on the x-carriage loose so that the x-carriage isn't applying any clamping force on the X axis rails.

Now adjust the eccentric spacer on both the X motor mount and the X idler to snug them onto their Z axis rail. During this, pay no attention to how one side is positioned with respect to the other. The goal here is to get each side adjusted to its Z rail. Doing this with the mounts loose on the x axis rails should cause them to self-align so that all three wheels are on the Z axis rail.

After both sides are adjusted to their Z axis rail, now tighten up the M5 bolts securing the X motor mount and X idler mount to the X axis rails, ensuring that the X axis rails are parallel to the plane formed by the two Y axis rails. As described earlier, this can be done by either ensuring the gap between the lower X rail and the Y rail on each side is the same, or by using a straightedge across the top edges of the X motor mount and the X idler mount. If you use a straightedge to line up the top edges of the two mounts, they'll likely automatically take care of getting the X axis rails parallel to the Y axis rails. Check for consistent spacing between the two X axis rails during this as well; I used a small clamp to pull the ends at one side closer together.

Now adjust the eccentric spacer on the x-carriage to snug the carriage onto the X axis rails. Manually slide the x-carriage from side to side, verifying that the feel is consistent across the range of movement. If more looseness or drag is felt on one side than the other, the two X axis rails aren't separated by a consistent amount.
    Last edited by printbus; 02-14-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: corrected Y vs Z axis references

Technologist
    This were my options. I also have 2 eccentric spacer coming in and see what i figure with that. Also there's option 2 like you said. Ill also see and do what printbus said on the alignment with the v rail. Am able to print just fine. But I have this thing that just wants to see everything perfect.