Close

Recommendations for a newb

Hello folks... I've been lurking this board and others gathering as much information as possible. However, I'm still a bit hazy with which 3d printer is suitable for a newb. So I'm looking for some recommendations from folks more knowledgeable than myself to help guide my decision. Although I would like something like the makerbot, I'm unable to afford it. My budget will keep in the $800 max range at this time. I was considering the solidoodle but the repraps look good as well. I just dont know enough about these printers to identify which one is better long term. Oh yeah, I'm one of those guys that likes to upgrade and enhance my toys too .

I welcome any and all recommendations. Thanks!!!

RepRaps are great printers for the price, but require some more knowledge, as you would probably want to customize it and maybe even build it yourself. Have you considered a used MakerBot, or an older generation Solidoodle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkened View Post
    RepRaps are great printers for the price, but require some more knowledge, as you would probably want to customize it and maybe even build it yourself. Have you considered a used MakerBot, or an older generation Solidoodle?
    I considered an older gen solidoodle but decided to go with the SD4. After reading the comments on this forum and others it seems that it was a hasty decision. I havent been able to find a used makerbot and I also read somewhere that they dont have a heated bed (?). The current makerbot is way out of my budget at this time.