Close

My first 3D-printed model

I got a Geeetech 3d-printer, and printed my first object. Here is how it’s made from ABS filament, and a lot of details about the model.

Start
    Create 3D objects in reality, sounds difficult and magical. In the past, only factories can do it. But now it’s simple and the method is easy to understand.

A 3D model is cut into pieces or layers in computer, each layer is thinner than 1mm. Printing a layer is easy, just like painting with melting plastic, and then other layers upon it. It gets thicker and thicker and becomes the model you want.

Grids
    In fact, the model is not totally solid. As you can see grids in the model, especially in the middle(the edge is solid). I think the grid structure can save material, it’s lighter but also has required strength--solid doesn’t means strong all the time.

Notes
    Neighbor layers should be adhere to each other, however sometimes they are separated, because of unsuitable temperature or layer number. Changing conditions of printing can get different effects. And the bottom layer can not be easilypaste on the glass board below it, so glue is needed, don’t forget clear it after print.

Views
    Different views of the 3D model, it’s only 5cm tall but consist of more than 100 layers and spent more than 4 hours. Not so fast but i think it’s cheaper and more convenient, than any other ways to get this 3D model. By the way, I purchased the 3D-printer from Geeetech: http://www.geeetech.com/acrylic-geee...it-p-884.html, it’s suitable for beginners like me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    An interesting choice for a first model?

Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    An interesting choice for a first model?
    I am not sure if I could print a perfect model. So I chose one randomly. Surprisedly,it's not bad.

you have printed so many objects now? i am still assembling it, but i have a problem in wiring of the ramps 1.4, can you help me? if you can give me some pictures, that would be much better, thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ellen1 View Post
    you have printed so many objects now? i am still assembling it, but i have a problem in wiring of the ramps 1.4, can you help me? if you can give me some pictures, that would be much better, thanks in advance.
    I am still looking for something amazing to print. I printed my first model casually, you know , selecting an STL file randomly, because I just wanted to see how well can it print.Actually, I alse spent a lot of time assembling the printer. You can visit their wikipage: http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.p...side_panelHope it will help you successfully assemble your printer. Good luck!

It looks like part of sth, maybe a castle ...
    So do you know where to get sth interesting that can be print? THX

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Why not print the wrench that NASA got printed on the International Space station? Here is the link to the .STL files for the NASA Wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by constantine View Post
    It looks like part of sth, maybe a castle ...
    So do you know where to get sth interesting that can be print? THX
    Actually, I don't know what I printed is either. I download the file without watching its instruction.
    You can find many model files at : http://thingiverse.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    Why not print the wrench that NASA got printed on the International Space station? Here is the link to the .STL files for the NASA Wrench.
    Oh, It looks good. Maybe I could sell it to NASA. Thanks for your link.