Close

Recommend me a cheap printer I can buy/build in pieces

Hello, I just made an account here to ask this question.

I need a printer I can buy in pieces over the course of a couple of months, (ex, buy electronics, then motors, then metal parts, etc.) reason is that school takes a lot of my money, and between one thing and another I cant save 3-400 bucks at once, not for this that is not a #1 priority for me right now.

I also want to build it myself, and I don't mind doing upgrades to it to make it better (although if I buy it in pieces that should not be a problem).

Around a 4x4x4 to 6x6x6 print area is fine for me

I was also looking at the qu-bd one or two up but for $220 and $300 respectively I think I can probably build something better for around the 3-400 dollar range myself (out of metal/aluminum or whatever is best, it may be kept outside in a shed every now and then!)

Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

I don't own one, but from what I've heard I wouldn't buy a qu-bd printer. The Printrbot simple is available in kit form for a good price. Maybe that would be a better fit. Unfortunately you'd have to buy it all at once.

If you wanted to buy components piece by piece, I'd probably go for a reprap printer, Prusa i3 of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by paradiddle65 View Post
    I don't own one, but from what I've heard I wouldn't buy a qu-bd printer. The Printrbot simple is available in kit form for a good price. Maybe that would be a better fit. Unfortunately you'd have to buy it all at once.

If you wanted to buy components piece by piece, I'd probably go for a reprap printer, Prusa i3 of some sort.
    Thanks for your reply, I had been looking at the i3 rework, decided to stick with that one and have already begun buying pieces for it.

Technician
    Why not just buy a Geeetech Prusa kit? 260 USD excl freight.

I would say any Prusa i3 is fine, it is the same machine. Buying pieces, sourcing part of it is hella lot of time,.

Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    Why not just buy a Geeetech Prusa kit? 260 USD excl freight.

I would say any Prusa i3 is fine, it is the same machine. Buying pieces, sourcing part of it is hella lot of time,.
    Its really not a lot of time at all to source the parts, I already have around half of the parts for an i3 rework at home, Today I just ordered the electronics and hotend, the only thing I have not ordered yet is a frame, total has been 360 without the frame. Including everything from endstops to lcd to sleeving for cables, now I just want to buy a metal/aluminium frame. Which will do in some weeks time, for now whenever I get a chance I will go assembling it.