Close

View Poll Results: What size i3v did you get? And how happy are you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-inch : Very happy, very few problems

5 33.33%
  • 8-inch : Not happy, many problems

0 0%
  • 8-inch : In-between.

0 0%
  • 10-inch : Very happy, very few problems

3 20.00%
  • 10-inch : Not happy, many problems

0 0%
  • 10-inch : In-between.

1 6.67%
  • 12-inch : Very happy, very few problems

6 40.00%
  • 12-inch : Not happy, many problems

0 0%
  • 12-inch : In-between.

0 0%
    Technician

Post Which i3v size did you get? And how happy are you?

As a resource to new buyers, I'd like to put a quick poll together to see what size i3v everyone bought, and how happy you are with it. The point is to see if there is a trend where people are having better/worse luck with a specific size of printer. This will help new buyers, like myself, decide which size they want to buy.

Engineer
    I started on the 8 inch i3, then later upgraded to the 8 inch i3v.

I've been very happy with it, with only one object I was trying to print needing to be scaled down to fit the bed.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    8-inch here, and quite happy with it after resolving some fundamental issues like the crazy approach for adjusting the Z endstop. Sort of wish I would have had the option for a full kit that offered the 8x12 inch bed. That'd likely cover anything I'd ever fathom printing, but I can't see the value for me to add the 8x12 upgrade at this point. I would imagine having the capacity for 12-inches in one axis would satisfy the needs of most others as well.

Student
    Add roybfr on Thingiverse
    8 inch i3 here, just received my upgrade kit to turn it into a 10" i3v plus a new Hexagon hot end. I have had some ups and downs with my printer over the past year but honestly all the downs were human (me) error. Can't thank this community enough, just a ton of good info here, and can't forget Colin, that guy is fantastic about responding to questions both pre and post sales.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    To future readers:

IMO, I'm not sure what conclusions will be able to be reached from the poll results.

1. The printers are pretty much variations of the same mechanical design. There are a few details that differ, but there isn't much of a reason for one size printer to be more/less problematic than another, at least not to the extent that it would be factored into what printer to purchase.

2. The 8, 10 and 12 inch printers haven't been on the market the same amount of time. At this point, there's probably far more 8-inch printers out there since it has been available the longest. Even though it may have the highest number of users, those owners are likely off printing away, without much reason to be coming back to the forums. On the other hand, the 12-inch printer is the newest in the MakerFarm i3v line. While it probably has the least number of users, it's arguably the most active printer in the MakerFarm lineup right now.

FWIW

Technician
    printbus,

You are right That is a lot of info I had not considered when designing the poll. However, it has given me the "warm fuzzy" that no matter what size I go with it will most likely be ok. It is very encouraging to see that, so far, no one was been unhappy with their decision. I know the sample size is way too small to draw any real conclusions.... But it is still encouraging.

I'm thinking 10" or 12" . Thanks for the info!! And once again, thanks for all the effort you put into documenting everything you did. I've read your build thread twice through and I'm planning on adopting many of your design changes.