Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student
    Add roybfr on Thingiverse

Anyone had issues with ABL where one Z axis side moves more over time then the other

Last night I had a few prints go wonky right after that start. As I started looking at the printer I noticed that my X carriage was no longer level. Releveling the X carriage fixed the printing issues.

I have seen this before, but i was usually due to manually messing with the Z screws or one side getting bound up for some reason. While watching the print this morning the Z screws seem to be moving in sync but did not know if some of the excess Z movement due to ABL could be exacerbating some other underlying issue.

Engineer
    I had that problem. It usually surfaced after I had manually pulled the X axis to the top, off the nuts, to do some work on the extruder. Later on it started happening more often as the Z threaded rod on one side was wearing out in one spot more than the other rod, and the nut would slip in that area

Student
    Add roybfr on Thingiverse
    Did you end up replacing your Z threaded rod?

Make sure your Z nuts are seated in the traps.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by roybfr View Post
    Did you end up replacing your Z threaded rod?
    Yep. I now have new rods on the printer, and two sets of spares, in case it happens again.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    Yep. I now have new rods on the printer, and two sets of spares, in case it happens again.
    im having the same issue . i think my nut trap is not holding the nut firmly . also i have a wooble rod . where did you bought your spare rods? i bought some rods last week but the dont seem to be very smooth . my Z axis is Squeaking a lot now .

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by pichuete View Post
    im having the same issue . i think my nut trap is not holding the nut firmly . also i have a wooble rod . where did you bought your spare rods? i bought some rods last week but the dont seem to be very smooth . my Z axis is Squeaking a lot now .
    A couple have ordered raw stock from Grainger based on the discussion here - http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?3461-MakerFarm-8-quot-i3v-Prusa-build-by-Printbus&p=44079&viewfull=1#post44079

AbuMaia points out later in that thread that one could try just flipping the rod(s) end-on-end as a temporary fix.

On the "squeaking", do you have the spiral-cut shaft couplers? They can tend to ring, making it sound like the Z-rod is squeaking. I added two turns of clear packaging tape around the couplers to dampen the spiral so they don't ring.

Engineer
    I got my replacement rods here: www.grainger.com/Grainger/APPROVED-VENDOR-Threaded-Rod-25DM77 I bought two, which was enough for 3 sets once I cut them down. If your Z axis is squeaking, something needs to be changed. Mine was squeaking, though usually only during ABL. I now see that the squeaking was caused by the nut slightly binding on the rod, rubbing against it and wearing down the threads.

My nut was also coming out of the trap, because one side was lifting Z more than the worn out side. The nut shouldn't be held very tightly in the nut trap, just enough so it doesn't turn. We want the nut to be able to pop out if the nozzle hits the print bed without stopping.
    Last edited by AbuMaia; 02-01-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Technician
    thanks for the info . yes i do have spiral-cut couplers . ill try that to see if it stop the noise .

In my case the "squeaking" happens when the Z axis is going down during ABL . also i have notice this start to happen when i intalled the Spiral Couplers .
    Last edited by pichuete; 02-01-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by pichuete View Post
    In my case the "squeaking" happens when the Z axis is going down during ABL . also i have notice this start to happen when i intalled the Spiral Couplers .
    Yep. Odds are better than the Broncos ever winning a superbowl again that the couplers are ringing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast