Close

Question Bobblehead printed with 3d printers?

Hi guys, I need someone's help and expertise

I'm interested in building a personalized bobblehead business but after searching and contacting 3d printer vendors (who are not very interested in selling their stuff!) for the last 6 months or so, I can't manage find any solutions to this.

The plan would be to have the client send me a couple of photos and create the bobblehead based on those photos .

So, what comes to my mind first would be:
    1. Can a 3d printer print high quality bobble heads from normal photos (converted to a 3d model)?
    2. Could you give me some direction, like a model or a price or what should I look for?
    Last edited by N!nos; 01-31-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Banned
    You should search the Halo bobbleheads that were made not too long ago.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Hi N!nos, and welcome.

Photos can be used to create a 3D point cloud, from which an STL (mesh) file can be made, but at the current level of technology, it'll take more than a couple of images. 123D Catch (free) suggests taking about 20 images around the object. There are alternatives to 123D Catch, including VisualSFM.

Be prepared to learn how to repair meshes. Netfabb and Meshlab are just two possibilities.

Yes, i understand what you are saying and i appreciate your help.

Meanwhile, the most unknown part to me is the physical technology involved in creating a high quality bobble

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    Hi N!nos, and welcome.

Photos can be used to create a 3D point cloud, from which an STL (mesh) file can be made, but at the current level of technology, it'll take more than a couple of images. 123D Catch (free) suggests taking about 20 images around the object. There are alternatives to 123D Catch, including VisualSFM.

Be prepared to learn how to repair meshes. Netfabb and Meshlab are just two possibilities.