Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling z axis?

Oiling z axis?

When my print bed goes up and down in the z axis it makes a horrific squeaking noise. Can I oil it and if so what should I use?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I use lithium grease on the screw thread itself. Just spray it onto some kitchen paper and wipe the thread.

Geoff probably uses some special oil (he doesn't like my grease ;-)

But yeah it needs doing. I also wipe all the steel rods every other week or so. Cleans them up and re greases.
    Also a good idea to go round the bolts once a month or so and just tighten them a half turn or so.
    Once you've done all that - recalibrate. Surprising how much difference the bolt tightening can make to a calibration.

Technician
    I did mine not long after I got it, I went for "Halfords cycle grease" which is teflon based and it worked fine for me.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I use lithium grease on the screw thread itself. Just spray it onto some kitchen paper and wipe the thread.

But yeah it needs doing. I also wipe all the steel rods every other week or so. Cleans them up and re greases.
    Also a good idea to go round the bolts once a month or so and just tighten them a half turn or so.
    Once you've done all that - recalibrate. Surprising how much difference the bolt tightening can make to a calibration.
    Would 3 in 1 oil work? If not I will be running to the store

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    grease is better than oil. I recommend this stuff. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...p-grease-14-oz

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I just use an all-in-one grease from poundworld. Just read the text if it's lithium grease it will say. If it doesn't - could still be, but then again it might not :-)

Thanks guys! I'll be getting some this week.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

No, Oil is no good, it's too thin.. I use oil for the bearings and for the Z-threaded rod I use Tamiya R/C car grease, the same type I fill my gear boxes up with, it's overkill but it works well.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    What about the X/y axis rod's, what can I use to clean those up with.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Same grease I posted works great. Just smear a thin coat on the rods and move the carriage and print head back and forth a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast