Close

Engineer-in-Training

Slic3r and Cura won't slice!!!

Urrg! Just when I was feeling good about getting these things figured out I am now having trouble getting Slic3r to work. I can load small stuff up but as soon as I try to slice something larger than 100mm tall slicer gets to about 90% and just sits there.

I tried to slice it in Cura and Cura won't even open!

Could the recent activity I have had in terminal trying to get my Octoprint to work messed up the slicers?

I haven't printed anything with Kisslicer but for giggles I tried to slice the STL that slic3r won't and it works fine.

Edit: Slicer did slice...it just took FOREVR! but why won't Cura open?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I tried using cura on that file and it sliced just fine. What OS are you using?

Engineer-in-Training
    Mac. To be clear, it finally did slice with slic3r, just took about 5 minutes or more. I can't get cura to open on my Mac any longer. I had been using it just a day ago. The only thing I changed was to put octopi on my computer.

i wonder if I messed up something in the terminal when putting on the pi image.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    Mac. To be clear, it finally did slice with slic3r, just took about 5 minutes or more. I can't get cura to open on my Mac any longer. I had been using it just a day ago. The only thing I changed was to put octopi on my computer.

i wonder if I messed up something in the terminal when putting on the pi image.
    Slic3r can be slow sometimes. I recent sliced the large Wade's extruder gear on a decently fast machine (i7) and it took 20 minutes, or maybe more.

Engineer
    Do you have Slic3r set to "Avoid Crossing Perimeters"?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes.

Akso, I installed a newer version of python and went to open Cura. A prompt told me a new version is available. It now opens after install.

Engineer
    Uncheck "Avoid Crossing Perimeters" and marvel at how quickly your parts get sliced.

Engineer-in-Training
    Wont there be drag marks in the print?