Close

Add Marm on Thingiverse

Quadcopter safety cage

I'm going to be printing out a quad eventually. I plan on using dual Arduino Nano's for the Flight and camera control. Yes, I plan on reinventing the wheel and programming everything from the ground up, because I want to, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

And since there will be a learning curve for both me as a pilot, the flight control computer, and the autopilot, I need to have "training wheels" for it.

So Has anybody ever seen a giant plastic cage for quad copters to make it just bounce off stuff rather than crash? Initial stabilization tests will be done in a barn

I have seen 2 things used in aero modelism :
    - Huge "fishing" nets deployed to close off the intended flight area.
    - A training support which for lack of better description would be like putting your drone on a delta platform to ensure you learn the first basic moves appropriately.

RC helicopter training kits have been around for years and basically consist of four struts below the copter with foam balls on the ends - given that most collisions are with the ground. Lots of images here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rc...0CD8QsAQ&dpr=1

Performing initial stabilisation tests in a barn might not be a good idea, as there's much more to crash into compared to an open field. Outside on a calm day might be safer.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Since a lot of the initial testing will be of the Flight controller code I'm writing, forgetting to dot an I or cross a T in the code may result in the copter attempting a moon landing.

Before I can even take the controls, the copter has to learn how to hover on its own, and that's the time I do it inside, with a helmet on. I'll probably tether it to something too.

Yes Ssayer, like that. And 5 minutes after posting this thread, I found one on thingiverse......