Close

Graphene reduction a possibility?

Last edited by SideWinderGX; 12-06-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Very, very interesting...... a graphene resin mix could be have huge potential.

Oh. I like this!

Well there's some interest, good

I'm excited about the possibility of designing something in SolidWorks, verifying strength using FEA/SolidWorks Simulation (whatever its called) and print it out overnight. It's an engineers wet dream...no waiting weeks to see a 'rough draft', smooth interior passages can be designed (think coolant jackets on an engine) and the printer doesn't care how complex it is.

Of course, this is all if it works. I'll be getting a sonicator soon as well as stock up on some graphene oxide for testing. Besides testing the mechanical aspects of it I'd also see how it responds to gasoline/ethanol, melting point/heat resistance, whether it can be ceramic coated etc. Might as well go for broke.

Staff Engineer
    I do really like the idea of a ceramic polymer mix, perhaps one where the polymer "burns off" when the ceramic is fired. (big emphasis on the quotation marks there, I'm not actually wanting it to burst into flames at any point.) I've heard of metal clay where metal powder is suspended in a reactive polymer that evaporates in heat, leaving a sintered metal object after firing.

Of course, that would require a polymer that both cures in UV and evaporates in heat, and I'm not sure if that's even chemically possible.

Wow.. I have nothing to add except - More interest!