Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've done it. My hex measured 1.93mm and would jam all the time. Bored out to 1.99mm and added support from hobbed bolt to brass nipple(empty ball point pen tube) now it just prints. Pretty much start it and forget it with ABL. Careful with drill press and small bits, I trashed one hot end.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    i'm running a 3mm setup. I would just be drilling out the actual nozzles. I think I'll be ok on the body of the Hexagon itself. I've never had a filament size related jam (or any jam) on the 3mm jhead with .50 nozzle, hopefully the hexagons perform as well.

Student
    Both the Makerfarm wooden and aluminum groove mount are a little too thin to provide adequate contact between the top of the e3dv6 and the recess in the bottom of the accessible extruder. The result is the e3dv6 is loose and not firmly secured to the x carriage. (you can wiggle it with your hand). This was easily overcome by printing an ABS shim (effectively a printed washer) and placing it in the recess in the bottom of the extruder. It gets sandwiched between extruder and the hotend. Perfectly secured now. I have the Direct Drive 3MM e3dv6 and the wooden x carraige.

I just ordered an E3V6... i'm tired of tiny tiny imperfections in the filament jamming... when i say tiny i mean tiny...

I don't have a drill rpess so i will probably making a trip to see a machinist about boring the hexagon to a full 2 mm I am planning on building a kossel i'll use it for that :-)

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    interested in more information on hexagon jams - especially 3mm. what brand/type of filament, etc.

I might polish and blueprint the bore if there's enough feedback on issues. I didn't put it under a microscope, but the bore looked good to the naked eye.

mine are 1.75

FYI, after boring body of hex I had one other jam. I figured it was because of the square step at the tip causing outside edge of filament to peel back into transition zone so I drilled into tip 1/8 - 3/16 with same #47 bit to give it a stepped profile. After a week of printing not a single jam yet. I wasn't able to get 3-5 layers down before. I believe the the liner i made to go into body of extruder helped a lot also as they are made for 3mm.

Quote Originally Posted by lovincup View Post
    Both the Makerfarm wooden and aluminum groove mount are a little too thin to provide adequate contact between the top of the e3dv6 and the recess in the bottom of the accessible extruder. The result is the e3dv6 is loose and not firmly secured to the x carriage. (you can wiggle it with your hand). This was easily overcome by printing an ABS shim (effectively a printed washer) and placing it in the recess in the bottom of the extruder. It gets sandwiched between extruder and the hotend. Perfectly secured now. I have the Direct Drive 3MM e3dv6 and the wooden x carraige.
    I can swivel my hexagon 1.75 by hand. Is it not supposed to swivel?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmartin View Post
    I can swivel my hexagon 1.75 by hand. Is it not supposed to swivel?
    I wanted mine snug to minimize the chance it could wobble back and forth at all as the movement direction changed. I added a few layers of kapton tape to the round end of the hot end as required, trimming out a round hole for the filament to feed through.

I didn't think the hex hot end fit in the grooved plate as well as it could have.
    Last edited by printbus; 01-24-2015 at 01:48 PM.

well, i might have just killed my hexagon or fixed it... I got fed up with dealing with the jams today so i took a 5/64 bit and ran down it which between my hands and general slop of a hand drill should be close to 2mm in diameter now, it definitely took a tiny bit of metal out but not a lot. btw 5/64 converts to 1.98mm :-)

I have a E3d V6 coming tomorrow of wed, so i wasnt super concerned if i screwed up too bad because i already have a replacement coming

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast