Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Student
    OK, I have sketchup up and running; watched a couple of help videos; drawn a "rudder" (size and shape from memory) ...

.Let's say that what I have drawn is the correct size and shape. I have saved the file as a .skp file....what's next? thanks, Rich

Senior Engineer
    It needs to be exported as an STL file.

Student
    Yes, I read about the STL file.

AFter much messing about, I found a very easy way to install the STL extension. I am going to export my file as a STL.

What is next?? ( I presume it would be sticking the file into my, as yet, un purchased 3D printer??? thanks for all the help rich
    Last edited by richg99; 01-22-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: original was incorrect

I could never get the hang of SkechUp. Not quite sure why though. Check out DesignSpark Mechanical. It is free and powerful. If you are looking to spend a few bucks ($295) I would recommend a look at MoI (Moment of Inspiration)v3. it has a full working trial mode.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    I already pointed you to Blender, which has all the power you need and is free to boot. The only downside to Blender may be the interface, which, i'll admit, is unique and takes time to master. I'm currently studying the Blender gaming engine and its python scripting interface for an industrial automation simulation project i have in mind. The point being that, once you get past the basics, it's a program that can take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Working with meshes (STL files) is just scratching the surface. Here's a quick tutorial from the Shapeways site on exporting STL files from Blender.

(Edit: Okay, he's stuck on Sketchup now so i'll stop proselytizing about Blender)
    Last edited by truly_bent; 01-22-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Senior Engineer
    You now need to import it to a slicer to make it into "Gcode". That file will be in a form that most 3d printers can handle but it does vary somewhat depending on what oyu buy.

You should try and learn Blender, it's a bit hard to learn but very capable.

Student
    Will Blender do the Gcode slicer operation?? Can I import my stl files from Sketchup into blender, or do I start over?. No problem if that is the best way. Just learning here. Rich

p.s. If a STL file is OK..what do I use to do the gcode and slicing? thanks again...

p.p.s. The main reason I jumped on Sketchup is that I had a couple of hours on it a few years ago. It was amazing how some of that came back quickly.

Post your rudder .skp ill take a look and print it.

Student
    Thanks, beerdart...but...as I said above, my present model is just a guesstimate as to what I really need.

The original is still at the grandkids' house. I should get it in a day or two.

Then, I'll recreate it with proper dimensions and will be VERY happy to post it up. Thanks for all of the help. rich

The slicer is separate from your CAD program and it slices your model into slices/layers tool paths for your printer to follow. Popular slicers are Cura Slic3r and Simplify3D. If you want to see your g-code tool-path after slice up load to http://gcode.ws/
    Last edited by beerdart; 01-22-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast