Close

Technologist

The Creepy Carriage

I leveled the carriage and then leveled the bed. I started a print and it acted exactly like the bed was not level. Checked the carriage - it was off level by a half bubble. Re-leveled the carriage, releveled the bed. Checked the carriage again for giggles - of by nearly a half bubble again. I did the lather, rinse, repeat shuffle a couple more times and then gave up. The carriage seems to be going out of level within 5 minutes. I made sure that the threaded rods are tightly attached to the motor coupling, and the couplings to the motors

I cannot see either motor moving to rack the carriage out of level. The one constant is that the left side (facing from the front) of the carriage is always lower when I recheck the carriage level.

Engineer
    Check the threads on your Z rods. There may be a thinner spot where the nut is slipping. If you can't see any worn spots on the rods, try replacing the nuts.

Engineer
    You can use the bubble level to level the surface the printer is sitting on. but I would level the X to the Y using some block.. like some lego as it has consistent height
    using a bubble level will level it to the earth, not to itself

once that is done then level the bed using the nozzle gap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer
    one other thing that seems obvious but i made the original mistake..
    when you turn one Z motor the other will also turn.. be sure to hold both when you are making adjustments to one or the other.
    also if the X is really out of whack. loose the extrusion a touch so it will adjust its position. then once you get it nailed.. tighten the extrusion to make it solid

Technologist
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to replace the rods and nuts this weekend.