Close

Engineer

maximize bed size with ABL

I am enjoying having ABL working with my i3v 12, except that it has made my working area smaller then before
    the issue im having is that the ABL servo probe is 50mm offset from my nozzle
    so right now ive set a X axis endstop aprox 50mm inwards.. same goes for Y (but less)

If I keep my endstops where they were before i had ABL, and the Probe offsets set right, the prob tries to do a reading off the left side of the bed in open air
    and if i dont catch it.. i will end up with a head crash

i have attached my current config.h file if someone can please have a look and let me know what they think i should do

my bed is 300mm x 300mm minus the space for glass clips 20mm each side = 260mm x 260mm

my probe offset is

#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 51
    #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -8
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -9.8

Configuration.h

If you have room turn your servo around so the arm is closer to the nozzle.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    If I remember right the probe points can be set separately from the bed extents. IE i probe the bed at X 150 but the printer is still capable of going out to about X195 before it runs out of glass to print on.

Yes... You can print outside of the probed area. The area that gets probed is separate from printable area of the bed.

Technologist
    my probe points are simple
    // set the rectangle in which to probe
    #define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 50
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 250
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 250
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 50
    i have no problems like that and have used the bed
    from edge to edge more then once

BUT I'm using default marlin 1.0.2 with FW controlled retraction g10 g11 (5-10% boost in quality and speed)
    retraction

another thing to note on 1.75mm setup steps per mm for the extruder sits up around 870~890

here are my settings g10/g11 settings right form config adv

// Firmware based and LCD controlled retract
    // M207 and M208 can be used to define parameters for the retraction.
    // The retraction can be called by the slicer using G10 and G11
    // until then, intended retractions can be detected by moves that only extrude and the direction.
    // the moves are than replaced by the firmware controlled ones.

#define FWRETRACT //ONLY PARTIALLY TESTED
    #ifdef FWRETRACT
    #define MIN_RETRACT 0.1 //minimum extruded mm to accept a automatic gcode retraction attempt
    #define RETRACT_LENGTH 1.25 //default retract length (positive mm)
    #define RETRACT_LENGTH_SWAP 13 //default swap retract length (positive mm), for extruder change
    #define RETRACT_FEEDRATE 20 //default feedrate for retracting (mm/s)
    #define RETRACT_ZLIFT 0.2 //default retract Z-lift
    #define RETRACT_RECOVER_LENGTH 0 //default additional recover length (mm, added to retract length when recovering)
    #define RETRACT_RECOVER_LENGTH_SWAP 0 //default additional swap recover length (mm, added to retract length when recovering from extruder change)
    #define RETRACT_RECOVER_FEEDRATE 8 //default feedrate for recovering from retraction (mm/s)
    #endif

i'm quite interested in this bit thats been added to marlin...

So if i understand it correctly this takes the slicers built in retraction and implements it as a default in firmware so that whenever it moves ans isnt extruding it will do a retraction correct? the description is a bit lacking in its translation so i am curious for a clarification.

Engineer
    If the firmware sees gcode that calls for only a negative E movement (without any X, Y, or Z movements), firmware will override the gcode and do a retraction based on the settings in firmware.

Or alternatively, in Slic3r, under Printer Settings > General, there's an option to Use Firmware Retraction, which will put in a G10 and G11 to retract, instead of Slic3r's own retraction settings.
    Last edited by AbuMaia; 01-20-2015 at 07:10 AM.