Close

New to 3d printing looking for advice on modifying existing design

I want to be able to print a cycling bottle cage with a banana holder. The issue is that all bikes have different geometries so the design online has a banana holster in too high or too low a position. I would like to print two items with varying designs. I am being quoted roughly $270 NZD for this from a shop taking into account the print itself and the design modification. I am wondering if it is cheaper to buy a 3d printer myself along with my own filament. After I am done I can sell it again and be better off than taking the route of going to a shop. I can print the link of the exact design if requested.

Had never heard of such a thing but a quick google shows what it looks like.. This type of object would not print very well. ALL open spaces would need supports and the thin curved structure does not work well with 3d printing.

This is because when fabricating it is one thin thread on top or another things that are angled for curved up slanted turn into tiny steps.. This type of shape is better made with injection molding. Not saying it can not be done with a lot of thought put into the design specifically for 3d printing, just not the ideal manufacturing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Had never heard of such a thing but a quick google shows what it looks like.. This type of object would not print very well. ALL open spaces would need supports and the thin curved structure does not work well with 3d printing. This is because when fabricating it is one thin thread on top or another things that are angled for curved up slanted turn into tiny steps.. This type of shape is better made with injection molding. Not saying it can not be done with a lot of thought put into the design specifically for 3d printing, just not the ideal manufacturing technique.
    I do not think injection molding is feasible for one off pieces like what I am after. Therefore I thought about looking more into 3d printing. What about printing with metal? I know Silca and some others make 3d printed bottle cages in titanium

well anything thing can be done with enough time, money and information. More than likely you could use a 3d printer to make it but as I said, you need to know what is possible and how to go about it when using the 3d printer. That means making design compromises to all it to work with the fabrication method. More than likely print the unit in multiple pieces and gluing/bonding or using mechanical fasteners to assemble it. Or possibly combining a custom designed part with a store bought part.
    If you are interested in 3d printing, leaning CAD design and are mechanically inclined, it is a great skill set to develop. If you would rather be out on a Bike than sitting in front of a monitor it may not be for you. Inexpensive printers are limited in the type of filament they can pint and now well they work. It's like any other tool, the $200$ Table saw will work, but that $1000 one work better and easier.. Maybe just eat a banana before you go and when you get back ;-)

Can you show me what you are looking to do? Do you have a model already made or still conceptualizing it in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    Can you show me what you are looking to do? Do you have a model already made or still conceptualizing it in your head?
    This image from the shop I queried succinctly conveys what I want to accomplish. I don't have a model already made I have an existing design I want to work off of
    Attached Images Attached Images