Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It looks like the first step is to resolve the two scans you got of that shark tooth into one. Have you been able to do that with the software supplied with your David scanner? I agree - you don't need reverse engineering to get from a STL file like that (once you've unified and cleaned it up to produce a water-tight mesh) to print.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    I was able to use DAVID sw to create the full STL model and print it.
    Now back on my original task of RE the eyewear, tested SpaceClaim and a bit Rhino.
    Pretty similar features (STL cutting and contours blending or just reskinning), did find difficult to understand in what kind of RE projects will be advantageous using a solid CAD such as SpaceClaim vs a surface oriented CAD such as Rhino.

Once the love affair with 3D scanners has subsided I bet you end up just modelling it from scratch(like SF suggested).

No, but seriously, you could model a propeller in maybe 1000 vertices.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihonddd View Post
    Once the love affair with 3D scanners has subsided I bet you end up just modelling it from scratch(like SF suggested).

No, but seriously, you could model a propeller in maybe 1000 vertices.
    For the propeller might be the best idea, for the eyewear I'm now working on having a 3d mesh as a guide is really useful.
    Every case will need to right tools.

So SpaceClaim it's really good but simply cost too much for the features.
    Rhino does have the same features (mesh import, slicing, countours blending, resurfacing) but I didn't find myself comfortable with the whole UX.
    Any other option in the same Rhino price range?

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Hi,
    I was shown some reverse engineering software in 2009 : you had to manually select points and detail what you expected should be there (plane, cylinder, ...). From my point of view, given the status of the soft at the time it was faster to measure on the part and redesign it yourself. Added bonus of doing the design : it forces you to think your tolerances properly. There was also the issue that the result surfaces were close to the intent but not perfectly so which might create issues for assemblies as mating faces may end up slighly at an angle.
    Agree with this

Create eyewear bow from zero would be long, the curve is changing differently in the upper and lower side, also the thickness is changing in different parts and from top to bottom.
    What would you use to model this, for a price tag such as Rhino.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234