Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technologist

GeckoTek Build Plate - Live on Kickstarter

The GeckoTek build plate just went Live on Kickstarter. I just backed this myself, it looks worth a try.

http://kck.st/1lz1hVG

Atoff, I deleted the previous thread for a couple of reasons... One of them being the person promoting it had only made 1 post and they are trying to get people interested in sending money somewhere. But for the same reason (and logic)... I'll leave your post!

Technologist
    Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realize it had been posted (and deleted) previously. Were they seeming shady?

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    Ah, sorry about that, I didn't realize it had been posted (and deleted) previously. Were they seeming shady?
    It's all good... I deleted the previous thread because the person was here pushing 'awareness' of a commercial product and that was their first post. And on top of that, several other very similar names had already had their newly created threads deleted earlier in the day because they were Spam. But that logic doesn't apply in this case and it makes perfect sense to have this subject available for discussion!

Engineer
    well on discussion of the plate, it looks interesting. a coated piece of spring steel so should be fairly durable i guess. im all for backing i as well. it only stinks that delivery isnt until october. i hear good things about the buildtak sheets but for the cost of those things then they dont last long and you have to throw it out. this gecko thing looks better as long as it works.

Technologist
    Hm, I've heard mixed reviews about the buildtak sheets, and yeah, I'd like something that lasted a bit longer. There's a discussion over on the SeeMe forums about using PEI. I have 12x12" sheet here that I plan on adhering to my glass... reports are very positive. Still, this looked interesting enough to pick one up, I'm just worried about warping with a non-magnetic base (currently not available for Delta's).
    Last edited by atoff; 06-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I agree the current stable of solutions is increasingly unworkable. My last best hope, what was called "Ninjaplate" won't work for ABS.

I guess it might take advanced material science to solve the problem, I'm interested, but I'll wait and see if it holds up.
    Last edited by JRDM; 06-18-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    it only stinks that delivery isnt until october.
    October is four months away, securing a manufacturing partner, writing up a contract, getting federal and state approvals, adapting their equipment and starting up the line is at least a ten week process, and that's if they already have a manufacturing partner in mind and everybody's lawyers and compliance people are lined up and ready to go. October is ambitious, the September dates are almost foolish.

After launching a very successful Kickstarter campaign over the summer, GeckoTek is ready to hit the 3D printing marketplace with their 3D Printer BuildPlate. Available now for pre-order, the BuildPlate eliminates all the mess and inconvenience plaguing harried 3D printer enthusiasts out there who would rather be involved in designing and producing new products easily, rather than dealing with hairspray, glue, tape, and a variety of uncertain methods to keep their 3D printed products from warping. The GeckoTek BuildPlate has a special steel surface which works with both heated and non-heated printer beds, and is a permanent solution. Check out more in the full article: http://3dprint.com/24281/geckotek-preorder-buildplate/

Below is a look at GeckoTek's BuildPlate in a MakerBot 3D printer:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it certainly looks interesting.
    And the magnetic attachment - that's something I can probably adapt for use on my aluminium top plate.
    Seems obvious - but sometimes you just don't think of these things till someone else uses it :-)

But like all these miracle solutions - I'll wait till it's been thoroughly tested by customers :-)

Also they did lie in the video. Claiming that abs doesn't stick to blue tape - hell, it's the only thing I could get it to stick to consistently.

But I can definitely make a magnetic attachment system for my existing plate :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-12-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast