Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Lol 3D printing is the nr. 1 hobby on Wikipedia! I can agree with nr. 2 and 3 as well, have yet to try nr. 4, possibly 3D printed, although I do have a native Polynesian boomerang.

I do agree that 3D printing is a hobby just like sawing, we can get a bit obsessed with the tools themselves. But figure sawing is definitely a proper hobby as well - anything you can put your heart and creativity in. Hobby relates to passion - what you love and what you are good at - in the end we also want to make something useful to the world and gain wealth. I haven't heard any news about Jay Leno and that Arab sheikh though.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    hell with that kind of money he can get his own baam, metal printers and makes cars from scratch :-)

For me a car is a tool. I put stuff in it and it takes me and stuff to where we want to go.
    Making one from scratch with a bunch of fancy 3d printers, would be fun.
    Fixing up existing cars - does nothing for me :-)

Each to their own :-)

where did you find the list of hobbies that put 3d printing at the top ?
    Gardening, stamp collecting, coin collecting - hell just collecting stuff - is massively more popular than 3d printing :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Well ! ! !
    3D Printer is at the Top because it has a number in the Name alphabetically speaking, It was a play on words stating its location on the List..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

I can do baton twirling :-)
    though usually with a quarterstaff ;-)

Student
    Printing isn't a "hobby" anymore than a wrenching or sawing is a "hobby."
    For some of us wrenching and sawing are hobbies

Regards,

George Clay

guess they must be euphenisms I'm unaware of ;-)

yes , I agree 3d printer is a great tool for most careers involving some kind of cre

Quote Originally Posted by ralphzoontjens View Post
    A 3D printer is a great tool for most careers involving some kind of creativity or creative thinking.As a hobby, I don't think there are many better and more versatile ones.Even as a household tool it is worth buying one for the sake of being to repair and customize things as well as create artistic items that would otherwise be costly.Customization is a key point and if you have an art background there are tons of ideas. For example you can create scaffolds for sculpting onto, decorative pieces or mathematical 3D patterns to incorporate into art pieces.
    yes , I agree 3d printer is a great tool for most careers involving some kind of creativity and 3d printer as a good hobby doing a 3D Printing market has a potential for growth on the global prospect.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gclayjr View Post
    For some of us wrenching and sawing are hobbies

Regards,

George Clay
    I assume you're joking... my point is that using a wrench or using a saw are not hobbies in themselves they are tools used in the pursuit of a hobby.

Student
    A 3D printer is certainly a very useful and interesting hobby. For starters, you can use ready-made models (for example, there are a lot of them here https://www.thingiverse.com/). But until you learn how to model, it won't be more than just a hobby. Try to start with simple modeling programs (eg https://www.tinkercad.com/) and then move on to a higher level, such as AutoCad. By learning 3D modeling you can start planning a small business. Good luck to you!

Student
    Yes, It is more helpful for modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12