Close

3D Printing Industry is Progressing Faster that I thought

I don't know if I am the only one that thinks this, but every day I read all the 3d printing related news and I am amazed each and every day by the progress being made. It's not like there is a big story in 3D printing once a month. It's almost on a daily basis. Whether it is breakthroughs in 3d bioprinting, or breakthroughs in 3d printed hands, or in the price of 3d printers, the quality of 3d printers, the large corporations becoming aware of the field, etc. It seems like we are progressing at rates unheard of. Does anyone else agree?

At this rate I think we will see 3D printing become part of everyone's lives within 5 years. I used to think it was at least a decade away, but now I think ti will be sooner.

I agree with your thoughts. I teach high school students technology in the UK and 3dprinting is making its way into education and the classroom more and more. At my school every student who attends the school learns about 3dprinting and how to access the technology. Many more schools are doing this as well and there are organisations that are dedicated to promoting 3dprinting in education so more students will learn about it. Therefore, when prices reduce and the user experience gets more streamlined I can see many students purchasing them over the next few years. Even at this early stage of 3dprinting in education I have students in my classes wanting to buy a 3dprinter for home so they can experiment. I have seen the excitement this creates in the classroom and it is here to stay!! The kids can't get enough of it, like smart phones and the internet, it will grow and grow and become more main stream. Once a big company that we are all familiar (google, microsoft, apple etc) with decides to embrace it then it really will explode.

That's incredible. I wish schools in the US were as up-to-date on 3D printing tech as they are in the UK. I feel that it won't be long before they are though. It's just a matter of time. I really appreciate some of the initiatives the government here in the US is taking to help make additive manufacturing more common place in business.

News? Or hype? More of the latter I suspect.

I think if the internet was around when CNC machining and G-code were first developed, they would have enjoyed similar levels of hype, er, news. Good stuff, but even those mature products don't show up on everyone's desktop, and neither will they EVER compete with high volume production methods for cost. Yes maybe you'll be able to print a pair of sneakers, but you'll pay MUCH more than a much better product at WalMart.

Patmat said, " Yes maybe you'll be able to print a pair of sneakers, but you'll pay MUCH more than a much better product at WalMart"And you don't have to put on your best dress to shop there. Just throw on any old thing.OME

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Patmat said, " Yes maybe you'll be able to print a pair of sneakers, but you'll pay MUCH more than a much better product at WalMart"And you don't have to put on your best dress to shop there. Just throw on any old thing.OME
    If it's about getting a product cheap, then 3D printing's not the thing. The main attraction of 3D printing is customization, and people will definitely pay more for something that they know is unique to them.

-Crawford

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by patmat View Post
    Yes maybe you'll be able to print a pair of sneakers, but you'll pay MUCH more than a much better product at WalMart.
    Sure, but you could, say, scan your feet and get an customized size and fit exact to you, something Walmart isn't going to do.