Close

Senior Engineer

Why does this STL not slice properly?

I drew this and it took me a good number of hours. When it comes to slicing it it is buggered and I cannot see why. It doesn't matter if I save as STL or OBJ and it buggers up with the Stratasys slicer and with Cura.

Is anyone able enough with STL files to tell me what is wrong?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gives a couple of error messages then it sliced for me in slic3r? Here is last error message. back-new.jpg

See the blue highlighted bits below? You've got some holes in your mesh.

Screenshot 2014-06-26 23.37.01.jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I drew this and it took me a good number of hours. When it comes to slicing it it is buggered and I cannot see why. It doesn't matter if I save as STL or OBJ and it buggers up with the Stratasys slicer and with Cura.

Is anyone able enough with STL files to tell me what is wrong?
    You are missing faces and what looks to be normals going in odd directions. Run it through netfabb cloud.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    See the blue highlighted bits below? You've got some holes in your mesh.

Screenshot 2014-06-26 23.37.01.jpg
    Thanks for that. I had been all over it looking for the problem but when I stick it at the same angle as your picture I can see them. As the upper set and the lower set are just copies of each other then it must be a bug in Freecad.
    This is indeed disheartening as I will have to redraw it in something else. :bawling:

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Thanks for that. I had been all over it looking for the problem but when I stick it at the same angle as your picture I can see them. As the upper set and the lower set are just copies of each other then it must be a bug in Freecad.
    This is indeed disheartening as I will have to redraw it in something else. :bawling:
    Learn how to fix it or you will most likely run into the same issue again, and you will be right round in a circle. If you don't know how you caused it when you modelled, then chances are you most likely will repeat the problem. Learn from your mistakes

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Learn how to fix it or you will most likely run into the same issue again, and you will be right round in a circle. If you don't know how you caused it when you modelled, then chances are you most likely will repeat the problem. Learn from your mistakes
    I can't fix it, I don't know why it happened. I have seen Freecad do it before on much simpler things where you just have a couple of things intersecting sometimes it just makes a real cock up of doing the subtraction.

Time to learn Blender methinks.

I don't know what you did to create the design... But when I run into this problem it is usually because I put two things so their edges are at the same location, but they don't intersect. Suppose I want to stick two 1x1x1 cubes together. If I put one at the origin and one at (1,0,0) I am going to have one face of each cube in the same location, but not actually intersecting. This has cause me problems again and again. If I put one at the origin and one at (.9999,0,0) everything will be fine.

Senior Engineer
    It's nothing I did wrong. I fixed it by deleting all the fusions and cuts leaving all the primaries only then I joined them again and it is fine.

Printed and working, or it will be in about 5 hours.