Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I can't do this because I need to have springs on my bed. (Any error in the software being developed can crash the nozzle and I need a little bit of give.)

But if it were not for that, I would mount the bed with no springs on a rigid plate. And if you are thinking about bringing up a Mesh bed leveling scheme, This is the Cat's Meow right now: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl It is a development branch (as opposed to a 'stable' branch). But it works very well.
    That is another question I had. What leveling scheme should I use and what is the best stable version of Marlin for this?

> What leveling scheme should I use and what is the best stable version of Marlin for this?

It depends on what your need. The various bed leveling schemes all offer different advantages. The UBL (Unified Bed Leveling) branch is trying to bring the best of all the different techniques to all printer types. It is trying to make it so you don't have to pick and choose. Right now, it still doesn't work on Delta printers but that is its primary focus. It will work there soon enough. That is what it was designed to help. And so far, it doesn't do the Grid Based Leveling with a Least Squares fit on the sampled points. It will do that soon enough also, but the truth is, it isn't even needed.

Seriously... I went to to the Dollar store and got the worst piece of glass I could find. I
    found a picture frame and when I held it up to the light I started giggling. I got a piece of glass that has huge ups and downs on it. And one side is thicker than the other side.

But here is the important part: I can get a perfect first layer across the entire piece of glass every time. It doesn't matter where I put the part, or how it stretches across the glass. I get perfect adhesion on the first layer every time. And that piece of glass I'm printing on sucks!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Bob, if you load up the RC-8 (Release Candidate #8) of Marlin, there is an easy to configure BLTouch option. You pretty much just tell it you have a BLTouch, and give it the correct Offsets from the nozzle and you are done.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix
    Hi

Just went looking for some Marlin to play with. Maybe it's just my lack of search skill ... RC-8 did not appear to be anywhere I could find it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

Just went looking for some Marlin to play with. Maybe it's just my lack of search skill ... RC-8 did not appear to be anywhere I could find it.

Bob
    Yeah... I apologize. Please grab the current contents of the https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix branch. For all practical purposes that IS RC-8. We just haven't checked with each other and all shaken our heads up and down. Trust me... That is so close to what RC-8 will be, it won't matter.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Well ok That's what I decided to do. I'm in the middle of rewiring the 12" with a BL Touch and upgrading the firmware.

(I *do* seem to have a pices of code at work that either is or isn't the release version depending on which heads shake which ways ...).

The real question is weather I'm going to do enough with any of this to go through the whole "set up Eclipse" nonsense. I find the Arduino tools great for simple stuff. They are a bit of a pain once you get past simple stuff. Eclipse is a bit of a pain on any first setup ... who knows what I'll do.

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi Well ok That's what I decided to do. I'm in the middle of rewiring the 12" with a BL Touch and upgrading the firmware. (I *do* seem to have a pices of code at work that either is or isn't the release version depending on which heads shake which ways ...). The real question is weather I'm going to do enough with any of this to go through the whole "set up Eclipse" nonsense. I find the Arduino tools great for simple stuff. They are a bit of a pain once you get past simple stuff. Eclipse is a bit of a pain on any first setup ... who knows what I'll do. Bob
    When you complete this do you mind sharing your Firmware? Also, are you running a IV3 or a Pegasus?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    When you complete this do you mind sharing your Firmware? Also, are you running a IV3 or a Pegasus?
    Hi

I am setting it up right now on a 12" Pegasus. Once I get that running I will transfer it to the 10" Pegasus. The BL Touch is mounted to a custom extruder I came up with. It also holds mount and duct for the cooling fan. Once they both are done, they also will have dedicated +5 supplies and Rpi's to run them remotely.

I'm not real sure how much use my firmware will be to others. I'm running a SSR on the heated bed and the filament cooling fan. I have the bed offset a bit to the right of the location MakerFarm recommends. My bed limits don't work very well on a "standard" printer. They are great for doing stuff that is a bit larger than the bed. Another part of that trick is the thinner power supply that I use.

Once I get it all done I'll toss it up somewhere.

Lots of fun...

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I am setting it up right now on a 12" Pegasus. Once I get that running I will transfer it to the 10" Pegasus. The BL Touch is mounted to a custom extruder I came up with. It also holds mount and duct for the cooling fan. Once they both are done, they also will have dedicated +5 supplies and Rpi's to run them remotely.

I'm not real sure how much use my firmware will be to others. I'm running a SSR on the heated bed and the filament cooling fan. I have the bed offset a bit to the right of the location MakerFarm recommends. My bed limits don't work very well on a "standard" printer. They are great for doing stuff that is a bit larger than the bed. Another part of that trick is the thinner power supply that I use.

Once I get it all done I'll toss it up somewhere.

Lots of fun...

Bob
    Sounds great thank you! I do not plan on copying your firmware for my use, but I just want something to compare.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

You may not want to compare to what I have right now. For some strange reason it does not realize the heated bed exists.....I have not quite yet made it to the BL Touch. I suspect I have something *REALY* obvious goofed up. I dropped back to the original firmware and the bed still is ok there. It's not a broken wire somewhere.

Lots of fun !!

====edit

Well, so far: Both RC-Bugfix and RC-7 have the "missing bed heater" issue. Roxy's branch for bed leveling (and the low memory warning ) seems to give me a valid bed temperature. Back to figuring out what's missing where.

Bob
    Last edited by uncle_bob; 11-14-2016 at 08:57 PM.

I have not quite yet made it to the BL Touch.
    Grab RCBugFix. You just turn on the #define BLTOUCH option and everything works....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast