Close

need some advice

iv come across this http://3dprinter-collection.com/ and i was wondering if it was a good start printer or is there a better option

As I read it, the printer is now even out yet. I've been looking into 3d printing all of a week now and don't even have a machine set up yet, but the impression I've gotten is that there are so many companies that are "just about" to launch their 3d printer.

Based on my research, I decided to assemble my own based on the Prusa i3 design. It is proven and has an entire community providing support.

For $444.38 shipped, I got the complete i3 bill of materials to include an all aluminum frame and some extras like a graphic LCD with SD care reader, mk8 extruder, 2 extra nozzles, a servo to drop a microswitch for tilt correction before the print, and 1kg of well reviewed ABS filament. Note that I got a discount on ebay of about $20 and I had my own microswitch already, so this would cost more like 470 for someone else.

Here is what I bought: I caution you that I'm a complete rookie. I may have made some mistakes. Consult others.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobs View Post
    As I read it, the printer is now even out yet. I've been looking into 3d printing all of a week now and don't even have a machine set up yet, but the impression I've gotten is that there are so many companies that are "just about" to launch their 3d printer.
    That is a very accurate impression... Right now, effectively there is the Printrbot Simple line at $350 for a wooden kit to $599 for assembled metal, and then a whole parade of printers in the same price and capability range that will be released in varying degrees of "Soon" (the closest right now appears to be the M3D Micro for $350 up for pre-order).

In theory, the cheapest reprap is hacked together from trashed floppy disk and cdrom drives for about $65. (but ain't nobody got time for that, as they say.) In general the bare-bones complete Reprap kit will be at or above $450, and the BoM that DRobs found reflects this pretty well.

The 3D Create and Print looks to have about the same capabilities as a ~$700 RepRap BoM, and the final cost of it is over that of many high-quality pre-built printers...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol okay basically it's one the new year 'part-work' magazines.
    ie: you buy 100 magazines at £5.99 each and end up paying £600 for a printer that might or might not work. Usually the magazine run is cut short before you get all the bits.

basically it's a con aimed at people looking to start something new in the new year.

The best one this year is a millenium falcom model that works out at £900 - an almost identical sized millenium falcon model can be had from argos for £22.

For £450 you can buy a flashforge creator from ebay all inclusive :-)
    Or any number of kits for under £400.

Do not sign up for a 'part-work' magazine: you never get all the parts, and they don't work :-)

here's the important bit:
    I authorise you to debit my credit/debit card for £27.96 for four issues now
    and every four regular issues thereafter. Issues 53 and 59 contain the circuit boards
    and will be at £14.99 each due to the extra cost of these sophisticated items.
    Oh yes and in case you hadn't already worked this out.
    1 issue a week , 100 issues = the best part of 2 YEARS before you get all the bits !
    And that's one reason part works never work - nobody has ever stuck it out for the whole 2 years.

Note that you don't get the electronics untill weeks 53 and 59. By which time you're 13 months in and over £300 out of pocket.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-19-2015 at 10:44 AM.