Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Well, I'm going to try and get my money back. I like all the options S3D gives you. But it is not worth 150 dollars. This is my 2 cents

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it depends what you're printing and what you want.

s3d has some really cool features. The multiple process approach is great. You can print different infill and resolutions into a single model. so for a big model that just needs fast 0.3mm bulk printing for the majority and then needs 0.2 or 0.1 for a small detailed area. s3d is the ONLY slicer that will let you do that.
    It slices very very fast.

It prints under and over hangs much better than most slicers, so - yes you do get better quality prints.

The only bugbear for me is the infill: it's piss weak. It simply won't print a solid infill. Even on the lowest setting it only prints alternate layers. So things snap laterally realy really easily.

At the moment I use s3d for most things. But for anything that requires strength I have to use makerware.
    Which is pretty good, but nowhere near as good for over & under hangs.

Any complex model goes through s3d 'cos it slices about 20x faster than makerware.

I like it, it's not finished yet. Still needs dual extrusion sorting and infill. But if you want to manipulate layer and infill within a single model - it's the only slicer that will let you.

Is it worth the money, for me - yes. Or at least it will be when they sort out the multiple extrusion and infill.

curious aardvark nailed it. As soon as they get decent infill options and dual extrusion sorting figured out. It would be worth it in my opinion.

Dual extrusion work fine..

Either way. They offer a 14 day return policy. So if your on the fence and don't know if it is worth it. You can put down the money and try it out, and if you decide that you don't want it in 14 days, they will let you return it. Their customer service is good. Quick and fast. They let me return mine without any hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by SpragClutch View Post
    They let me return mine without any hassle.
    Out of curiosity, why did you return it?

Engineer
    i dont know why you guys are having infill problems. you should not be able to break your infill at all. it should print thick and completely solid if your are set right.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    i dont know why you guys are having infill problems. you should not be able to break your infill at all. it should print thick and completely solid if your are set right.
    I agree, I posted this on other part's of the board, but here it is again. Not my image but same result's with 200% infill and 30% outline overlap in infill settings...

Nice strong part's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's my point. When you pay 150 dollars, you should not have to play around with different Infill extrusion widths and outline overlap settings to get a strong solid infill. You should just be able to select Hex / Honeycomb and be done with it. Not waste time and material trying to figure out the correct extrusion widths and overlap settings for each material and printer you use. Its cool that there is a back door to the lack of infill features in S3D. But in my opinion, there should be more infill features in S3D.

@tigerprinter, I returned it because I did not feel like S3D was worth the 150.00 as it is right now. The lack of Infill features was one of the main reasons. Other then that, it seemed to be a decent slicer.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I agree, I posted this on other part's of the board, but here it is again. Not my image but same result's with 200% infill and 30% outline overlap in infill settings...

Nice strong part's.
    Want strong, try those settings but do it at 10-15% and 45, -45, 0, 90.

Makerware or any other slicer can't touch this type of functionality.

Sprag, you don't have to test this with all the materials. Once you get an infill you like you just save it and use it for all the filaments. It is just infill and isn't seen. Linear infill prints about 2x as fast also since acceleration doesn't come into play.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast