Close

Thread: 3D Printed Cast

Engineer

3D Printed Cast

This is sort of another oldie from the beginning of the year, but one which I think is worth posting. This is a 3D Printed cast concept. As far as I can tell, no doctors or hospitals are offering these yet, however the idea really makes sense. The cast can be customized and printed after the Dr. takes a 3D Scan of the users extremity. The benefits of this cast over a plaster based cast are that this one can get wet and dry within minutes. It can be printed out custom, meaning no time for the plaster to dry. Also, it is much less intrusive, and allows the skin beneath it t breathe much easier than an ordinary cast does.

Super Moderator
    I dunno about in the states, but I hardly ever see plaster casts anymore. Up here, they're usually polyurethane-impregnated fiberglass. Still inadvisable to get them wet, as the inner padding will take forever to dry, unlike porous this unit.

Having had to see my wife endure the discomfort of a badly made polyurethane impregnated cast for about 2 months last year (2013), I can see that there are great advantages in having a cast that provides access to air for the skin, and that is light weight, but strong enough to immobilize and support the broken bone.

In reality, the cast only needs to be a web-like structure. Most of the material in the usual type of cast does not contribute to the required function of the cast.

Old Man Emu