Close

Please recommend software.

Hi all,

I represent the Engineering team of a college in South London. We are soon to get a 3D printer, but none of the staff are too clued up on CAD. What is the best software that my engineering tutors should be learning up on, in order to create 3D models for feeding in to a 3D printer. I've heard Solidworks, and 3D AutoCAD?

Thanks

Ed

If you are looking in the areas inhabited by Solidworks and AutoCAD, also look at Rhino 5. If you are engineers, how are you creating your designs now?

Since you are associated with a college, the best solution for you is an inter-faculty team. Go to the Graphic Design people and see if someone there wants to team up with you.

Before you go investing in high end CAD, try playing around with some of the open source stuff.

Old Man Emu

I have the same question, but different purpose. I'm a not a pro but want to design wearable casings for electronics, that sort of thing. I have tried OpenSCAD but the numbers make me dizzy. SketchUp I have used in the past but find kind of a horrible program to use. Any recommendations appreciated. I'm on a Mac, BTW.

Student
    "Before you go investing in high end CAD" Most if not all of the CAD software companies have extensive discount plans for schools. Some even have full corriculum for teachers and students. Decide what it is that you want to do with the software and what hardware you are outputting to. Some CAD is great for CNC, some lasering, some for . . . . Check the USER forums for each package and read through the kinds of questions being asked and who is doing the answering. If only users are doing the support there might be an issue. Just my 2 cents worth. Spend it wisely! Russ

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    As above - Autocad is free for education. Solidworks/Spaceclaim etc are $50 a year or so. Your options are pretty endless so it all depends on what the requirements are (what sort of 3D Models.) I wouldn't go buy 30 seats without at least one person being proficient in it and knowing it's the correct program.

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    I have the same question, but different purpose. I'm a not a pro but want to design wearable casings for electronics, that sort of thing. I have tried OpenSCAD but the numbers make me dizzy. SketchUp I have used in the past but find kind of a horrible program to use. Any recommendations appreciated. I'm on a Mac, BTW.
    I'd recommend you try designspark Mechanical - It's free, powerful and has a much smaller learning curve than most CAD programs.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

JSenior, unfortunately Mechanical is for Windows and not for Mac. I found FreeCAD over the weekend and have started learning it a bit, as there's a Mac version. It also seems reasonably okay for a beginner.