Close

Stops printing after 3-4 layers???

Good evening... So i just recently started having issues with my printer (havent used it in a while).
    for whatever reason, after 3-4 layers (4x4") larger test print, it just stops extruding....
    I have cloughs mods for ABL, his entire x carriage print (moving the extruder fan to the back and sucking air up and away), and a front mounted layer fan. (layer fan not being used, or inconsequential to print stopping).

Once it stops printing, i raise the z up and start extruding, and it seems to go again just fine. I really have no idea whats causing it.

I do notice the extruder fan is cutting out here and there, which is strange.. no idea why it would be doing that... i havent sat and watched the print to see if it cuts out long enough to cause the extruder to jam up... i dont think thats it... but its almost like clockwork every time i test this print.. (i use s3d and more or less the same settings as i always do)

Any ideas (ill watch this time too).

thanks

And a question that may be asked... Ive tried 3 different rolls of filament (and all have been run through this printer before without issue).
    thanks

Make sure that your cables from your lcd are plugged in all the way into the board ...i had this issue ..and all it was one of the ribbon cables loose

that seems like the most bizarre fix ever.. ill check it out though.. strange that is happens roughly the same time 3 times in a row though.

Just sharing from my experiences with these printers...

No, i certainly appreciate it... Im just baffled by that as a solution if its that easy, fantastic i havent had a chance to check yet though.

No offense taken.... The reason why that worked for me was because I was printing from sd card..so it would only send some of the gcode over until the machine vibrated the cable loose enough to kill communication with the board... Oddly enough it was always at a certain layer. Again might not fix ur issue but its easy enough to check.

im actually thinking it may have been the model.. i dont know how or why that would be... i just printed a much larger piece, and it seemed to work just fine... surely bizarre

well, a little closer inspection seems there may have been a short (strange) in the wire near the extruder fan... if the carriage raised up even a little perhaps that cut the power and the extruder jammed...
    so i re - sodered it and ill see what happens now.
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 05-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.

so i ran a couple of test prints and things seem to be working much better... so perhaps it was that short.... so what is the ultimate issue that is caused when the peak fan is no longer running? Is it that the heat rises up the stack and causes oozing inside the chamber, higher than the nozzle and causes jamming? If i think back to one of my prints it makes perfect sense... When i went in after it failed, the filament was actually not even in the extruder, and the end that was exposed now had a melted edge.. so the heat rose up so far that it melted it enough to have it come out...
    seems logical yes?