Close

Thread: Blue tape width

Blue tape width

I am trying to find a wider width blue tape, just so I don't have to put multiple strips down. I haven't had much luck.

Has anyone else find them?

If you did, what widths did it come in?

What widths would be useful for everyday use?

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    I find it cheaper per square inch to buy the 3in rolls, but 6in wide rolls are available.

Something to point out. Masking tape out gasses. Locals around these parts recomended that I store tape in a plastic zip loc bag and away from sunlight. I have masking tape for automotive at 2 inches wide that still works perfectly. I use it when I do machine work and dont want the jaws damaging the work surface.

- It depends on how fast you go through it, if your tape rolls last you longer than a month then sealing them after use is good practice. Otherwise there isn't enough time for the tape to degrade in the open air. I go through 1-2 rolls a month, so sealing them isn't necessary.

- I found regular masking tape not to be as effective as painter's tape, is the automotive masking tape similar to painter's tape? Would you have a link to some?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    here's a question. I currently use 1 inch tape. On the grounds that it's easier to repair holes. Plus the bed is 6 inches wide.

But does the wider 3 or 6 inch tape give you better adhesion to the bed ? Ie: stop the print warping more than it does with the narrow stuff ?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    What are you folks printing in, that you need the tape? I print PLA right on the glass at 40C.

Engineer
    Automotive tape is painters tape but the adhesive is a touch stronger plus its solvent base adhesive not latex. The tape resists solvent based paints. Nit that i use tape often for printing but when i do it is automotive grade tape. The tape you want is 3m 233+. Its green. 3m also has their mid grade automotive refinish tape which is bright yellow.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't have a thick glass bed. I get free (well I give them telephone and teamviewer support and they give me aluminium) aluminium plates, so not bothered with spending money on thick glass.

Hence the need for some tape :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    ...does the wider 3 or 6 inch tape give you better adhesion to the bed ?...
    - I found that the wider the better, not only for adhesion but its also easier to apply. If properly applied (using a credit card or something similar to firmly adhere it to the bed) any size tape works.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    What are you folks printing in, that you need the tape? I print PLA right on the glass at 40C.
    - Its true you can print directly on the bed, but I found it was extremely difficult to remove the parts sometimes. I find it much easier to just peal the tape & part off as one; then I peal back the tape off the part. I print a lot of parts all day every day, so even though its not very cost effective I find it a much faster process for getting the next part started.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    The tape you want is 3m 233+. Its green.
    - Thanks for the tip. The cost is a little over double in comparison to the standard blue, but if the adhesion is better it might pay to use this with my more troublesome filaments.

Thank you for all the feedback.
    I did find a 6" width tape supplier. It should be delivered on Friday. After I run some prints, I will report.