Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

New Filament Extruder - Ewe Filament Extruder Released

There is a new filament extruder on the market now from a company called EWE Industries. It actually extrudes filament and spools it all-in-one process. It's priced starting at 330 Euros for the basic (non spooling kit), and 690 Euros for the complete deluxe assembled version. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but it looks to be high quality. Anyone thinking about grabbing one of these?

Read more about this new filament extruder from EWE Industries at http://3dprint.com/7364/ewe-filament-extruder/

Engineer-in-Training
    I think it's much better to have the winder as part of the product rather than an afterthought like Strooder had done.

Looks neat, But i don't think this is something that will be that huge of a succes simple of the price again,

It takes so many kilos to finaly even get a profit from having such thing, Starter kit = 330 euro, aprox 12-13 kilos (if you find plastic for 3e/k) to have your breakeven point when you arent even calculating your eletricity.

Perhaps nice for Shops to have, so they can create custom colors, But after that..

You can't say it doesnt look nicely made and compact.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well I haven't found anyone in the uk selling pellets in less than a ton quantities yet - and I've got nowhere to store a ton of pellets :-)

And filament is getting cheaper and better all the time.

I could see a use for recycling bits of plastic I;ve got in my plastic bin. But I don't think this machine grinds as well as melting.

If someone does start selling pellets in sensible amounts for home users and significantly cheaper than filament - then it might be worth a try.

I like the spool design - I might nick that for some home printed spools :-)

Staff Engineer
    Come to think of it, it has been six months since this news article, and the Ewe site has a store portion for ordering (no crowdfunding needed, apparently)... Has anyone gotten and used one of these? The site seems to primarily show renders with not a single customer review in sight.

Student
    I'm more tempted to try building my own. Just need to buy an extruder unit (can get one direct from Velleman), open up the extruder hole to 3mm, and add a large drill bit in a tube, to feed the pellets in. All of this can be driven through the K8200's printer board, and therefore through Repetier. Means that the cost is kept down to about £100. I just havn't really had time to get around to actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well I haven't found anyone in the uk selling pellets in less than a ton quantities yet - and I've got nowhere to store a ton of pellets :-)

Check us out fila-cycle.com

Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing ABS or HIPS recycled pellets. Very good quality 100% recycled materials, in quantities that you can handle.

Scott