Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!!

Help!!!!!

I am wanting a 3d printer that is around 500 dollars prints to 100 microns and has a build size of at least 10x10x10.

Haven't got mine yet should have by next week but check out the solidoodle press. I'll keep everyone updated with quality of the machine and prints.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Ridgidbot 3D: $447: 10 x 10 x 10, but it's a kit and their site says the kits are sold out.
    da Vinci 1.0: $399 (Amazon): is assembled, but build volume is only 7.8 x 7.8 x 7.8
    Solidoodle 4: $599: build volume 8 x 8 x 8
    Last edited by truly_bent; 01-11-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Items to note on two of those printers
    Davinci you need to plan on printing replacement x and y bearing mounts. Voltivo forums is full of users whose machine has fallen apart with about 40 hours of use.
    Solidoodle you will need to print a second print head if it has the older acrylic head. Solidoodle knows there is a problem and has never bothered to get rid of it. Also getting it shipped usually takes 1-2 months. Unless the place that you buy it from has them in stock, you are in for a wait. Solidoodle might have something larger in a version 3.

PrintRbot Metal Simple is a 6x6x6 volume and you can modify it to 8x8x10.

Good luck with what ever you go with.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by -willy- View Post
    Items to note on two of those printers
    Davinci you need to plan on printing replacement x and y bearing mounts. Voltivo forums is full of users whose machine has fallen apart with about 40 hours of use.
    Just passed 200 hours on mine, and haven't replaced anything. But I do have those mounts downloaded.

Lucky you. Glad it is going strong. Is it a version one or version two?

http://www.gofundme.com/mueb4k

Please excuse the long windedness but I have a lot to say.

Back in September a friend of mine who uses the Solidoodle 2 and has had great experience with the product sent me a promotional option for buying their new 3D printer the "Solidoodle Press". I bought the printer in September 2014 on Presale for 15% less than the market price, and their target shipment date was 1 month, awesome. The printer delivery date was pushed back, and back, and back all the way to 4 months, The CEO's reasoning was that it has gone through extensive quality tests before shipment, great! After 4 months of waiting, I recieved the printer Mid Feburary 2015.

I did months of research before it arrived so I was prepared to use and maintain the printer. Right after unboxing the product I realized that there was no detailed manual but a 5 page booklet, only 2 of which show setup. The software link that was in the booklet didn't work so I had to google it to download the "Soliprint" software, which looks like it was developed by an 10 year old on SCRATCH. (In fact my 10 year old son creates better programs)

The first time I ran a calibration test I encountered a problem, the extruder cable flops around inside the upper part of the enclosure and constantly jams either the X or Y axes, causing the stepper motors to stall, wow. Okay, well I attached a rubber band to the cable to keep it from jamming the printer, however it had already stripped some gears, but they still seem to work decently.

The second problem occurred when I fixed the first problem. When the bed is moving in the up and down axis, the bed bottomed out onto the printer nozzle stripping ever more gears; making a horrible sound which I could not stop until I unplugged the printer. After researching on google I found the limit switch in this axis. Why was it not in the manual? Why was there no manual to begin with?

The third problem occurred after I fixed the second problem. When the printer bed bottomed out on the print nozzle, it bent the print bed. Now the automated bed leveling can't even work because the printer bent it's own bed at least 5º, it destroyed itself. Even the z axis calibration program could not compensate for this, so nothing would stick to the print bed. The nozzle would drag itself through it's own print destroying it.

Okay, let’s call tech support, oh wait, Solidoodle does not accept phone calls, oh no.

So I try and give the printer bed a little cleaning and adjustment, as I have researched, this should fix the problems. The glass bed cracked, and the tiny 1.5mm set screw in the extruder got stuck so the extruder doesn't mate with the motor.

okay, I'll buy some new parts, this is where the above photo comes into play. Parts for the Solidoodle press are note ven available to be purchased.

I sent Solidoodle support an Email asking if I can buy parts to fix it, I just want my printer to work. I have not received any response except for an automated email. It has been weeks.

This printer was advertised as a plug&play, out-of-the-box experience that would work for ordinary consumers, without needing tweaking, modifications, and calibrations. After being delivered *3 months late,* it fulfills none of these promises. The software is pathetic, the hardware is plagued by cheap design decisions, and manufacturer support is nonexistent. I have not been able to meddle with the hardware and software to fix its egregious flaws.

I do not know what to do. I have never been so upset by a purchase in my entire life. I wake up sad because my dream of finally being able to print my 3D creations is crushed, and I cannot even fix it or get a refund. My kids are let down as much as I am.

My goal is to reach out to people who have had a similar experience as I have, and let them know that they are not alone. These proceeds will be split evenly to all who have had the same experience, and can contact me with a paypal account.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    I think you are going to struggle to find a 3D printer with 10"x10"x10" build volume for the price you are talking about, this is essentially leaving the realms of desktop 3D printers. The option is really to look at what you are trying to build and see if you can print it in a couple of pieces and fit them together.

I have an Astrid 2200 by Plastic Scribbler. It has a build volume of 8x8x9, a little less than you wanted. However, I have been very happy with it so far. It worked as advertised, right out of the box.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Single extrusion. 1.0

The Voltivo forums are full of people who have issues with the printer because that's the major type of users who WOULD be on the voltivo forums.

Observers Paradox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast