Close

1st Printer: HE Reprap Prusa i3 DIY Kit

I received yesterday my first printer. the HE Reprap Prusa i3 DIY kit. They said it would come with detailed instructions. Guess their definition of detailed is quite different then most people. The instructions are on a dvd-rom that was wrapped with the heatbed. Turns out they are video clips, that has the same music track playing through all of them for the audio. None of the parts are labeled or really identified in the vids. Then when some of the assemble is being done, they move just out of camera so you can't see what's being used or done. They do say they will help with identifying parts, but I need to send them pictures to have that done. So there is some form of support there.

I also plan on using the Prusa i3 build manual v1.0 from reprapworld.com as a guide. the printers have their differences, but it should help. I'm half tempted to make my own videos with narration while building this. Either way, it will take a while to build it.

I'm already thinking about how I might be able to mod it. Like changing the location of the extruder, doing dual extruders, maybe a geckotek build plate, also using an E3D or a Dglass 3D Autolift hotend. The autolift one might be a good idea if i can get the dual extruders going. These are plans for all down the road once i become familiar with the whole thing.

Any thoughts, ideas, or advise? oh, i did attach a pic of what it is suppose to look like.

Thanks
    Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dear friend, I think I can help you to solve the problem here, but, before that, I think you should reduce your complaint, because complaining doesn't solve the problem, calm will make your mind.
    Your problem now is you want to assemble it, or do you want to transform it.We are also studying double nozzle, may soon do it, I am a 3 d printer technician, I have 4 years experience of DIY, you can believe me, but I need to understand your real thoughts.

I didn't mean to sound like I was majorly complaining. It's more fustration at all the added hassle of identifying everything. For example, all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, etc) are in small ziplock bags without any labels, except the ones for the lcd screen. So the first step is getting everything identified and determine it's purpose.
    I'm excited to have it and want to get it assembled. Also, I love putting things together. I still have my legos, constructs, robotix, k-nex. It will just take longer then what I'd like.
    As for my plans, get it assembled and comfortable with printing and working with it. Then start modifying it. The only things I'd probably do right off is get a geckotek build plate, and or a different hot end (one of the 2 mentioned). Then eventually move the extruder to where the hot end is (or is it better to keep it mounted to the frame?). And down the road play with the double nozzle, but that's a ways off.
    I'm just excited to have this new "toy," and want to do all these things with it. But I know, 1st things 1st. Get it assembled, and learn how to use it as it is 1st. Then start to play with it.

Technologist
    Hi, This looks like a standard Prusa i3 design so any set of i3 instructions should help. Google it and you should get several sets that will get you most of the way. The choice of a bowden setup is a bit non-standard for an i3 but there is plenty of info on it out there as well. Here is a link to the reprap wiki - http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Build_Manual

There are also some links on there to other i3 resources.

Cheers,

KDog

Quote Originally Posted by dtiger1138 View Post
    I didn't mean to sound like I was majorly complaining. It's more fustration at all the added hassle of identifying everything. For example, all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, etc) are in small ziplock bags without any labels, except the ones for the lcd screen. So the first step is getting everything identified and determine it's purpose.
    I'm excited to have it and want to get it assembled. Also, I love putting things together. I still have my legos, constructs, robotix, k-nex. It will just take longer then what I'd like.
    As for my plans, get it assembled and comfortable with printing and working with it. Then start modifying it. The only things I'd probably do right off is get a geckotek build plate, and or a different hot end (one of the 2 mentioned). Then eventually move the extruder to where the hot end is (or is it better to keep it mounted to the frame?). And down the road play with the double nozzle, but that's a ways off.
    I'm just excited to have this new "toy," and want to do all these things with it. But I know, 1st things 1st. Get it assembled, and learn how to use it as it is 1st. Then start to play with it.
    I totally understand your frustration. However, think of it this way...although you will be aggravated as you put the kit together, your learning experience will be outstanding. You will learn the harder way what each piece of your printer is and what it does and where it goes and how it interfaces with the parts around it. That hard earned knowledge will be invaluable as you then start to mod and expand your machine and more than likely build a new one. You will totally OWN that machine and that is worth a lot in my book.

With that said, as intimidating as it may seem, you can go a very long way by carefully examining the picture. That will at least give you some ideas of the major assemblies and then you can work from there. As amazing as these machines are they really aren't that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by danrodz View Post
    With that said, as intimidating as it may seem, you can go a very long way by carefully examining the picture. That will at least give you some ideas of the major assemblies and then you can work from there.
    I agree Danrodz, just I was at the point of needing to know what screws get used when and where, and also identifying which screws were which. 1st time I've worked with metric screws. But thanks to all those who've helped with links or otherwise, I think I've gotten a handle on this (famous last words). As you can see, I've made progress.

But I've also hit a snag. I 1st grabbed the wrong smooth rods. I had the ones for the X-axis. The problem is though, when I slide the bearings onto one of the rods, I ended up with 4 of the tiny ball bearings coming out (1 from 1, and 3 from the other). It was a very snug fit, and they didn't seem to slide all that freely. I did used them on one of the rods in the picture. They move much better.

This brings up 2 questions:
    1) Will the missing ball bearings have an effect on performance, therefore I should replace them?
    2) Do I need to replace the rods for the x-axis if they are doing this to the bearings?

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images