Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    any progress on the piclops project?
    The scanner itself is done, and I'm reasonably happy with everything except the ability to adjust the camera position; the way I did the attachment for the camera box to the tower doesn't provide for much 'wiggle room'. It works for me, but I don't think that it's a great answer. There is at least one other camera tower design being worked on by Faan Pretorius; he's posting about it periodically in the ATLAS Google+ group. He also raised the turntable and camera platform to allow use of a 48 mm tall stepper, which are a lot easier to find.

My current project is setting up proper lighting for the scanner. I'm working with Adafruit DotStar addressable LEDs, with the goal of having the Pi control them to provide approximately constant lighting regardless of how the ambient light changes in the room. I have a test rig set up with another Pi and I'm working out the kinks now. I did notice that someone published a Ciclop LED light bracket on Thingiverse recently, which looks like it would work very well with the LEDs I'm using. I'll probably end up with some on each laser arm and another few on the camera tower itself, and a light sensor under the edge of the turntable facing back towards the camera.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks for the update. I did see on your blog that you got a scan done and it looked pretty good. I'm curious (given your admitted lack of experience with meshlab) if you've attempted any sort of print based on that scan. It seems that there is still a significant disconnect in the area of 3d scanning between getting the scanner to function and getting it to output something that is useable.

I haven't tried printing anything. I suspect I could get a usable print of a trivial object; for example, I was using a piece of wooden dowel rod (a simple cylinder) and that scanned well enough. But what's the point of doing something I know will work? I have played around with some of the STLs that are generated by FreeLSS, using instructions that Uriah Leggett posted to the Google+ group, and produced STL objects that looked something like the originals, but nothing that was good enough to be worth printing. I suspect that I'll need to both refine the scanner and improve my meshlab abilities before I'm printing anything.

There's also a pair of issues with the Pi camera running at 5 megapixels, which is the resolution that I'd really like to be able to use; in video mode the image is cropped to the center of the view, which doesn't work at all on the scans, and in still mode the two lasers produce significantly different results that can't be merged. I suspect both of those are software issues but I don't know nearly enough about C++ to even find where that stuff is happening in the code, much less fix it. That will have to wait for more people to have scanners and be filing bug reports.

Student
    Follow jalbo01 On Twitter
    We're happy to announce the availability for bq Ciclop scanner in USA. CubiMap Distribution. Best product at the best Price/support.

Engineer-in-Training
    Can a user post some sample scans and impressions of this design? I can only find one video of scan results, moving about a point cloud on YouTube. No printed objects, etc.

Student
    Follow jalbo01 On Twitter
    I will try to post some examples. Thanks. CubiMap

Technologist
    Anyone got any shots of scans they could post here ?
    Quite interested in buying one but could do with some more reviews.

Technologist
    So I bit the bullet and bought the fill kit.
    Putting it together was straight forward enough and I seem to be getting fairly decent scans after a lot of tinkering but as owens-bill said above, getting a printable mesh is another story.
    Is anyone else having any luck or has this thread gone quiet because of this stumbling block ?

Last edited by scobo; 10-08-2015 at 03:46 PM.

I am building a bq ciclop with self-sourced parts rather than a kit. Does anyone know of a forum/support group covering the ciclop? Also I notice there are some screenshots of a windows version of horus - where do I download that from? Links please? I can only find the source code and having real difficulty compiling a package.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast