Close

Affordable, Fast, High Res DLP-SLA 3D Printer

Staff Engineer
    You could probably have posted this in the thread already created for this printer.

Also, there is a prototype "from the factory"? Who is the manufacturing partner? Also, how does this compare to some of the other DLP printers already on Kickstarter? Sure it is lower priced than the Form1, but it can't compete price-wise against say, the LumiFold. (and will have to once it gets to store shelves)

What intrigues me most is the cheaper resins that are said to be offered, but no information is given aside from "cheap". I don't have $1000 for a DLP printer, but cheap resin always interests me. It should be worth noting that the B9 Creator and Form1 you compare yours to are already compatible with Maker Juice resins, which would definitely qualify as "cheap resin" at $55 per liter for their G+ resin. I'm most intrigued in the investment casting resin you have teased on the KS, any further info on that?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    What the heck are in these resins that make them one of the most expensive liquids I have ever seen? Is it some rare and precious mineral in them, or just a total lack of manufacturing secondary to lack of demand?

Staff Engineer
    They have to have pretty unique properties, and yes, they're niche products made in small batches. But they compare favorably to ink-jet ink, which, ounce for ounce, costs more than Beluga caviar.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    What the heck are in these resins that make them one of the most expensive liquids I have ever seen? Is it some rare and precious mineral in them, or just a total lack of manufacturing secondary to lack of demand?
    In short, yes they do, and yes there is.

There is a thread over on the RepRap forums about making your own homebrew SLA resin, but it's dangerous, time consuming, difficult to get a successful batch, requires some chemicals that are controlled and some that are rare. The process gets a bit more reliable if you have actual specialized lab equipment, but in general, under about $80 per kilo is worth your time and safety.
    Specialty resins, like conductive and no-ash resins are secret formula kinds of things, so there's no alternative to those costs.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    But they compare favorably to ink-jet ink
    Everything short of pure precious metals and nuclear fuels compares favorably to ink-jet ink on a price-per-ounce basis.

Good luck in getting it in less than a year, that is if it ever does get shipped.