Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you 3d print into material?

I have an idea, but how realistic/challenging is it to do thin layer designs into an existing fabric substrate?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Wut?

What existing substrate are you refering to?

http://xyproblem.info/

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    That sounds interesting. I had a poke around and it turns out there's a lot of info about "3D printing of fabrics", but very little about "3D printing on fabrics". The only thing i ran across was an instructable about 3D printing on tissue paper. Not exactly what you're looking for but, there may be some useful info in it as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    That sounds interesting. I had a poke around and it turns out there's a lot of info about "3D printing of fabrics", but very little about "3D printing on fabrics". The only thing i ran across was an instructable about 3D printing on tissue paper. Not exactly what you're looking for but, there may be some useful info in it as a starting point.
    Thanks Truly, a bit more helpful than Marm. It may simply be a need for printing the design then using a serious glue to keep it on the shirt permanently and securely. I was mostly wondering if the 3d printing process could include micro hooks (like velcro i guess) into a fabric as it prints, thus a print sew into a fabric. I'm assuming the 3d machine is simply a layering device that wouldn't be capable of injecting micro hooks as base layer using the 3d 'ink'.

Might be easier to just print a whole damn shirt with the design as part of it Anyone try wearing 3d printed clothing? I've seen pics (ie Dita Van Teese's dress), but doesn't appear to be easy to use like a casual shirt. More like body armour. amourous armour at that.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    should be doable, to a certain extent. Stretch the fabric tight across the build platform.
    You'll need flexible filament. I'd go for flexible pla, just easier to deal with than the tpe/tpu filaments.
    Should stick without any problem. You're biggest issue is going to be heat.
    Natural fibres whould be fine: cotton, wool etc. Any pure fibre should be okay
    But any kind of artificial fibre or natural artificial blend is probably going to melt.

Staff Engineer
    I would think the hardest part would be stretching the fabric tightly enough to keep the print from curling off the bed and just taking the fabric with it.

Also, I would be absolutely baffled to come up with a way to wash a garment that has plastic parts printed onto it. (except that it would have to be line-dried.)

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    should be doable, to a certain extent. Stretch the fabric tight across the build platform.
    You'll need flexible filament. I'd go for flexible pla, just easier to deal with than the tpe/tpu filaments.
    Should stick without any problem. You're biggest issue is going to be heat.
    Natural fibres whould be fine: cotton, wool etc. Any pure fibre should be okay
    But any kind of artificial fibre or natural artificial blend is probably going to melt.
    Do you have any Flexible PLA recommendation's? Was thinking about getting some.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I was just confused as to what you meant. There are a lot of ways to take what you asked.

Plus I was in a bad mood, Plus I missed the fabric part. So sorry! :P

On topic though, nowe that I know whats going on, I would think stretching a tshirt over your print bed may be doable. Or it may end horribly.

Staff Engineer
    It would probably be a lot easier to just 3D print your velcro or whatever and apply it to the cloth afterwards.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

[QUOTE=awerby;43600]It would probably be a lot easier to just 3D print your velcro or whatever and apply it to the cloth afterwards.
    Andrew Werby

Right, though a spike with a barb could press into a fabric, it might be, uh, scratchy to wear.
    I guess a design could be made somewhat on those lines that would interlock on the other side of a substrate.

Was curious if 3d printers could do that. thanks for the replies all.

Def a line dry item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast