Close

Makerbot Replicator 2 Vs. 2X

Does anyone have experience using both the Replicator 2 and Replicator 2X? I'm wondering what the main differences are, and if it is worth the extra $600 to go with the 2X or not. Any input?

I have a friend that has the 2X and he loves it. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the 2 and 2X. It would be something to look into before making a purchase though, considering the price difference is quite hefty.
    Derek

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekPeterson View Post
    I have a friend that has the 2X and he loves it. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the 2 and 2X. It would be something to look into before making a purchase though, considering the price difference is quite hefty.
    Derek
    The 2X has dual extruders, whereas the 2 only has a single.

Having 2 extruders allows you to print stuff in 2 colours or use dissolve-away supports and such.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    There is more to it than that.

The 2X, while it does have the two extruders, vs the 2 only has one; the 2X also has a heated build plate to allow for printing in ABS plastic. From what I can tell the 2X also has a slightly smaller build plate size, not sure about the height though.

Personally I would go with the 2X because it allows for a wider variety of plastic to choose from for printing. But if you do that, keep in mind that the Makerbot Replicator 2X is being marketed as "EXPERIMENTAL 3D PRINTER", meaning it does have some kinks that will be worked out over time. Personally we haven't really had any problems with ours that couldn't be resolved in under an hour so I still see it as worth it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2X is dangerous compared to the 2. More of the machine is heated and you run a higher risk of burning yourself. I have burnt myself at LEAST 25 times, but it's not that bad. I've never had a blister, it just kind of hurts.

Thanks Mystery Sounds like you do get a lot more for the 2X. I'll probably settle for the 2 though, as I am still a beginner. Why is it so important to be able to use a wider variety of plastic? What would be your main concern with only being able to use PLA plastic?

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyYan View Post
    Thanks Mystery Sounds like you do get a lot more for the 2X. I'll probably settle for the 2 though, as I am still a beginner. Why is it so important to be able to use a wider variety of plastic? What would be your main concern with only being able to use PLA plastic?

Well, to be honest, there isn't a legitamate reason behind those thoughts. Personally I just think that having a wider variety of choice in a situation is always good. Plus, if you look hard enough and find the right sites, you can find some really cool types of ABS plastic. Some glow in the dark, and others that change color depending on temperature.

Ive been using our 2x for a good 6 months now and I can tell you it's a lot more finicky than the rep 2. Dual extrusion is still somewhat experimental but CAN work depending on what you want to do with it. It requires some changes in the CAD design process in respect to planning how things will be built. It is VERY temperamental, but after you've been using it for a few months you get a feel for its quirkiness.

You CAN print PLA on the 2x but the results I have had have been less than desirable. I think it might be due to the fact that you cannot manually set the LOAD/UNLOAD temperature and the PLA heats, maybe a little too much.

There are a lot of reason you might want to use ABS or other types of polymers other than PLA. PLA is nice and pretty, cheap, and smells good when you heat it up but it is very brittle and has a lower melting point than ABS. ABS has a higher melting point and is more flexible. You can also use things like HIPS (see the new dissolvable filament), nylon, pva, laywoo, etc.

If you just want to have fun printing things go with PLA and the rep2. If your feel like getting your hands dirty or doing this as a business you might want to try the 2x.

Ive been using our 2x for a good 6 months now and I can tell you it's a lot more finicky than the rep 2. Dual extrusion is still somewhat experimental but CAN work depending on what you want to do with it. It requires some changes in the CAD design process in respect to planning how things will be built. It is VERY temperamental, but after you've been using it for a few months you get a feel for its quirkiness.
    What exactly do you mean by "finicky". I am not really much of an expert when it comes to 3D printing. Would you suggest someone like me purchase the 2 rather than the 2X for now?

Well i personaly wouldnt go with Makerbot, but faster for the same money get a Ultimaker 2.

Not that Makerbot is bad, but i've just always liked em, and they sometime also give out Upgrade kits, instead of just saying you can get a 2 or a 2X but you can't upgrade from one to the other.

It's called their experimental version for a reason
    If what you want to do is just download and print things the rep 2 will be more trouble free than the 2x. What you get with the rep 2x is a lot more possibilities what with different materials that when used properly will allow you to do things that you might not otherwise be able to do. You trade some ease of use for more possibilities.