Close

info needed on setting up stepper motors

I keep hearing on youtube about people whom say the controller board needs to be adjusted. Something about the motors get too much voltage causing them to overheat.
    So I would like to know about how to address this. I gather that the controller board has screws of some fashion near the plug for the stepper motor that will be adjusted. That is all I have for knowledge at this time. Please enlighten me.

No I dont have a printer yet, but will (I hope) in 60 days.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - I think the scenario you are referring to is the power potentiometer located on the stepper driver. This is a dial that controls the amount of current going to the motor (usually 30%-100%). Current is a measurement of the Ampere supplied to the motor, so if you have a 1.5A motor and a 2A driver you need to at least be below 75% to keep from frying the motor. If your buying a prebuilt you shouldn't have to worry about setting and calibrating this.

Had heard that PrintRbots usually had a hot stepper on the extruder. Granted I plan to make some copper heat sinks from copper flashing. Might get a local machine shop to water jet them. A modification from a heat sink that I googled. Drawing is not to scale yet you get the idea.