Close

Will These Print or Collapse on their own Weight?

I am using Replicator 2 for the printer. The preview print shows it perfectly as I want it to print but I am nervous that it will not print and this is a very important thing to my science fair or else I will be screwed if it comes out bad and its due in 2 weeks.

There are ten of these in different spoiler angles. I will be sending a dropbox link to the actual files on sketchup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    If you try to print them as is they will not print successfully. Add some supports and it shouldn't be a problem. If you need a smooth finish when you're done just break out some fine sandpaper and hit all the surfaces that the supports were touching.

Student
    Think of decorating a cake! Squeeze the frosting out touching the cake everything is cool. Now squeeze out the frosting about 2 inches above the cake, whoops! What software are you using to design the piece? Russ

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Do we really need a new thread everytime you have a question on the same project?

If they're sketchup files, they won't print, they need to be converted to STL, and then again to gcode by a slicer to print.

Add support, and see if they print!

You'll have to sand off the bumps left by the support (at least I do!), so there will be some manual labor involved.

And trust me, as a habitual procrastinator, don't put this off. Ten prints like this is going to take a long time, assuming they're of decent size. Especially when you can expect 1 or 2 to get fouled up somewhere and have to restart. 2 weeks (for me at least) is not a long time to print these, expect 2-4 hours minimum for each.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the image shown should print perfectly well without supports.
    The curves are well within most printers capabilities to print. And sanding blocks/paper are your friend :-)

Can't be arsed to look at the rest :-)

The easy rule of thumb is to draw an imaginary horizontal line from the build plate and move it up. If at any point you have part of the model touching the line that is NOT touching any other part of the model. It needs redesigning or supports.