Close

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways

3D Printer Selector MindMap

Rev 0.0.1 (01-05-2015) I was impressed enough by Skateguy2000's 3D printer selector flow chart that i decided to create a "mindmap" of it, complete with hyperlinks to the various manufacturer's websites. Initially, i was putting an image of each printer in as well, until i realized that they weren't going to show up without the correct html code inserted.

Rev 0.0.2 (01-07-2015) This revision has added images of each printer and a new Cost category (thanks igolfchip). After trying unsuccessfully to embed images into the applet, i settled for adding a link to a Goggle search images page. Hopefully, they will remain stable enough to last. The Cost category is subdivided into Assembled & Kit before being further divided to price levels. I found the price for all but one of the models.

Rev 0.0.3 (01-07-2015) Added connectors between the nodes on the left and right sides of the map. Right clicking on the connector arrows will allow opening up on the opposite side. Some nodes have more than one connection. Also corrected a couple of improper node locations, and the price of the missed printer.

Rev 0.1.0 (01-10-2015) Have decided to release the mind map file itself to the forum. There's no way i'll have the time to keep it current. Perhaps others have better ideas on how to organize the criteria or some may wish to collaborate on keeping it updated. It was created in Freeplane (recommended), but i believe it can also be used with Freemind. I'm currently looking into linking external maps together, if this one should get too large, and would be happy to help with any questions.

Rev 0.1.1 (01-11-2015) Still learning this FreePlane program. Just found "local hyperlinks" (green arrows), which can replace connecting lines and cleans up the map considerably. Implement this to good effect. There are only two connecting lines left now, where the same printer falls into two criteria on the right side.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by truly_bent; 01-11-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Well, this is pretty cool, and quite readable. I like that the applet has links in it, though I've not looked at it myself (Applets are a no-go on my work computer).

But somehow, the flow chart seems more fun to read...

Wow, that last statement is one I never thought could be used seriously.

I like the concept to drill down into various printers based on customer requirements.
    On what basis were the different printers selected? For instance, Big Build Volume had the Makerbot Z18. Everything I've read is that no one can get them to work properly.

Technologist
    Feign;
    True dat. The flow chart uses has some cute expressions and questions, which i boiled down to "just the facts". If anybody thinks a map like this has real value i'd be willing to put some time into expanding it. There seem to be plenty more printers out there that are not represented.

igolfchip;
    I can't take any blame for the original categorizations. I'm pretty new to the 3D print world myself so i took the info on face value. I expect it would be pretty easy to add more info to each "leaf" of the memory map to include a rating system of some kind.

I think its a great start. Just a couple things come to mind:
    - Instead of affordability; use price tiers instead (to some <$1000 is affordable, to others, its <$5000)
    - Ultra High print quality is a bit subjective. I get to use the Fusion3 F306 over at NC State Univ. and its print quality is much better than the Ultimaker 2.
    - Technically, the Z18 has the largest print volume, but many folks have said they can't get them to work. Again the F306 kicks in being 12x12x12"

Technologist
    igolfchip;
    I like your idea of the price tiers. I thought of adding in the prices, but discounted the idea due to price volatility. Your idea of the price tiers would solve that, for the most part. As for print quality, i would be inclined to include printer specs. Again, some type of rating system could be incorporated; perhaps based on experiences and/or polling members of this forum.

Technologist
    igolfchip;
    I've revised the mindmap to include image links and added a new Cost category. Thanks for your input there. The revised map can be found in the original post above (as Rev 0.0.2) as well as an updated image. Here's hoping i got the all the prices in the right ranges.

Technologist
    Revised the map again (Rev 0.0.3). Added node connectors between the left side (cost) and right (criteria). Right clicking on the connector arrow will allow vectoring to the opposite side. As before, revised map is found on original post above.

Time for something else. Had enough of this for one day

Technologist
    Have decided to release the mind map file itself to the forum. With the pace of change in the industry, i won't have the time to keep it current. Others may have better ideas on the organization of criteria, or may wish to collaborate as a group in keeping it updated. I'm looking into linking to external maps, in case this one should get too large, and believe i have already found a script for that (in a language called "groovy" What goes around comes around).

The map was created with Freeplane (recommended) and i believe it can also be used with Freemind, although there is some minor incompatibility between the two regarding file formats.

I've started working on another map, which organizes links related to 3D printing, such as the creation and editing of meshes, programming (OpenScad, OpenJsCad), motion control, resources, selling, and whatever else comes to mind. That would be a good one to link externally to this printer selection map.

Technologist
    Rev 0.1.1 (01-11-2015) Still learning this FreePlane program. Just found "local hyperlinks" (green arrows), which can replace connecting lines and cleans up the map considerably. Implement this to good effect (see above). There are only two connecting lines left now, where the same printer falls into two criteria on the right side.