Close

Engineer-in-Training

First Layer Snags

Hi All,

I'm having some weird issues with my first layer on my Průša i3v.

I'm printing several models with 3mm screw holes throughout, and my main issue is as its printing the perimeters of the circles, it will catch the edge of the perimeter before it and pull it up off the bed, and eventually just into one big mess on the hot end.

My print setup is PLA, 195c on blue painters tape, with the bed at ambient temperature. My first layer is "squished" fairly well, and adhesion seems adequate. My print speeds for the first layer are 25%, and my overall speed is 75mm. Print cooling is disabled for the first layer.

I'm going to replace the tape firstly, and then try again tomorrow with cooling enabled, and if those fail, go straight to glass with hairspray, but was wondering if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions with these troublesome holes... weirdly, I've printed dozens of brackets and other pieces with similar holes in the past with no issues too....

Ryan

You can always put Elmer's Glue stick on the blue tape. It does make it stickier. My favorite is still 60c glass with glue stick. I never have a problem with the parts not sticking... Everyone has different things that work best for them, so...

rafting is pla's friend to reduce warping

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks guys, the elmers glue works beautifully.... in fact it holds too well!

Now to sort out a few last issues!

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead for a weird issue in my slic3r. I'm printing a large object (8x8) and have noticed that while the first layer goes down perfectly, the second seems to be set too high. My first layer height is 0.35 and all other layers are 0.30

When I look at my sliced file, it does indeed show a thicker second layer as opposed to all subsequent layers. This shows in the print as the second layer tends to curl slightly or not adhere as well. I've attached a screen shot of what I'm seeing in my profiles, and was wondering if anyone else had seen it before. The pink box illustrates the difference in the height of the second layer as opposed to other layers....

Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried a different slicer for giggles? Just wondering if it is something in the programming. Otherwise (only retarded speculation) I wonder what would happen if you removed the second layer statement.
    I too would like to know what will work here.

Engineer-in-Training
    I used both an earlier release of slic3r, 0.99 and 1.17 dame effect, so I switched to cura and it appears it is fine there, will try a print with cura to see if that will work!

Engineer-in-Training
    Printing the cura sliced file, and the issue is still apparent, the second layer is printed too high. Wondering now if it might be related to my auto bed leveling, or something along those lines

Ryan