Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student
    Follow Shieldse On Twitter Add Shieldse on Facebook

Question Laptop requirements?

Hello,

I am new to this site and new to 3D printing. I currently have a macbook pro but I noticed that some of the 3D software does not support mac. If I was to go and buy a new laptop in order to run the software and use the laptop for the 3D printer only, what specs do I need to look for? Will an i5 processor work or would I need an i7? What are the basic requirements to run the software and the printer?

Thanks

Be careful using a laptop to run a 3D printer. Without going into the nuts and bolts of it, laptops often send information to your printer in fits and starts, which means that your printer will stop and start.

If you have the money to go out and purchase another laptop, I'd suggest that you buy yourself a 2nd hand desktop with a small monitor. Programs which run the printer, such as Pronterface, don't need very much computing poer at all. The only real need you have for computing power is to operate your slicing software. You can do your slicing on your good laptop then carry the file over to your printer desktop using an SD card or USB stick. Doing it this way does not take up much room, and you won't have the hassle of having to unplug you laptop everytime you want to use it for other things.

Here's what my workplace looks like:

My workspace.jpg

You can see an old tower in the corner. I can't remember its specs, but I've had it for years and years. It will run Rhino 4 (CAD) including RhinoCam, and Mach3 (a CNC operating software). The only reason I have the smaller desktop operating my printer is that my son (an IT guru) decided that it did not suit the corporate image he want to portray, so he built me a new desktop for the office.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. An XT format computer works faster than I can type.

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 12-31-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Thankyou for the heads up on the notebook. I recently recieved two computers from the wifes father. One a notebook the other a very dusty dell xps desktop. The order from the wife is I amy keep one but not both and I was thinking (until I read your post) of using the laptop and rebuild/resell the tower. So instead I will unload the notebook and keep the tower. Granted this means a bit more money. As all I got of the tower was the case and its guts.

Student

Computer

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Be careful using a laptop to run a 3D printer. Without going into the nuts and bolts of it, laptops often send information to your printer in fits and starts, which means that your printer will stop and start.

If you have the money to go out and purchase another laptop, I'd suggest that you buy yourself a 2nd hand desktop with a small monitor. Programs which run the printer, such as Pronterface, don't need very much computing poer at all. The only real need you have for computing power is to operate your slicing software. You can do your slicing on your good laptop then carry the file over to your printer desktop using an SD card or USB stick. Doing it this way does not take up much room, and you won't have the hassle of having to unplug you laptop everytime you want to use it for other things.

Here's what my workplace looks like:

My workspace.jpg

You can see an old tower in the corner. I can't remember its specs, but I've had it for years and years. It will run Rhino 4 (CAD) including RhinoCam, and Mach3 (a CNC operating software). The only reason I have the smaller desktop operating my printer is that my son (an IT guru) decided that it did not suit the corporate image he want to portray, so he built me a new desktop for the office.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. An XT format computer works faster than I can type.

Old Man Emu

Thank you! So I have the LulzBot Taz 4 which lets me print from an SD card. Would probably be ok with what I have. If I was to get a desk top instead of that laptop, is there anything that I would need to look deeply into for the tower? I just want to make sure that I have the minimum that I will need to run the software. And if I can print from an SD card, do I really need to spend the money on a computer if the printer is not running off the computer? Thank you for your response

It's OK to print from your SD card provided that:
    1. Your printer is working perfectly
    2. You don't want to do anything like pre-heating your extruder, or extruding a few mm of filament to make sure everything is OK.
    3. You don't want to preview a print, ot follow what is happening as it is printing.

That's why people load a program like Pronterface to make monitoring your printer easier. Read this: http://www.plasticscribbler.com/tuto...e#.VKUUXSuUdyU

You don't need high processor speed, or tonnes of RAM. You should be able to pick up a suitable 2nd hand computer from a Charity shop.

Old Man Emu

Another source of cheap machines in Walmart.com, yes I said walmart. You want to look at the refurbed machines. Wife needed a replacement and we got one there for $150 with win7 installed. Granted it will be what ever is the current flavor of windows (8.1?). Think about it. Win 7 at the time was retailing at $99, so they made about $51 on the parts. Dam cheap in my book.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's actually cheaper to build a new base unit. Plus that way you get much faster processor - and don't believe emu. If you use openscad - you want a decent processor.
    Also some of the slicing engines benefit from a decent processor as well.
    On top of that some of the cad packages need a decent graphics chipset.
    And if you're got an sd slot on your 3d printer, then you've probably also got a control panel. So preheating can be done without an attached computer.
    As can most maintenance tasks.

My advice for a cheap unit for 3d printing.

processor:AMD APU Athlon 5350 Quad Core Processor (Socket AM1, 2.05GHz, 2MB, 25W, AMD Radeon 3
    motherboard:MSI AM1I AMD Mini ITX Motherboard
    Ram: any 2gb 1600 ddr3 dimm
    hardrive: cheapest 64gb ssd (solid state drive) you can find.
    At the very least get a hybrid drive. That way the 8gb used most runs from a ssd anyway.
    You don't need a dvd drive, if you do buy an external usb powered one. Same price as internal and much more useful.

I've built a few of these in the last month. For general desktop use and with larger ssds in.
    I'm also using one myself, but with the cheaper 1ghz quad core in. That also does a decent job. At some point I'll drop a 5350 cpu in, as openscad would definitely benefit from the extra oomph.

And that's it.
    Either drop it into an old case, or make or buy a mini itx case. I built a 17x20 cm 3 sided, wooden box, drilled 4 holes for screw lugs and took an on off switch from an old base unit.
    add an old monitor, mouse and keyboard and you're good to go for less than a reasonable second hand base unit

Small fast solid state drives are much better than huge traditional mechanical drives. You won't be storing huge amounts of data and the ssd makes windows run 10x faster than standard drives. Supposed to be more reliable as well. But given the manufacturers claim 2-300 years mean time before failure, nobody actually know yet whether they last longer than mechanical drives or not :-)

Laptops are prone to overheating and cutting out. Second hand laptops doubly so. Having been in the industry for 20 odd years, I can confidently state that nobody ever sells or passes on a fully working laptop. Even if it just needs a new battery - there will be something wrong with it.

My opinion on dell equipment is usually unprintable - throw it away and make your own :-)

Laptop wise - go for one with amd a-series Apu - the a8's are faster than i7's - and yes I've benchmarked both.
    Amd chips are faster and cheaper than intel chips and the onboard graphics is much better than the intel hd chipset.
    I haven't used intel processors since amd first released it's 486 chips, going back nearly 20 years I reckon.
    Amd chips are just better - and cheaper :-) And yes i do a lot of benchmarking.
    We're talking thousands of machines. Built and fixed over 20 years as a professional.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.

I agree with Curious Aardvark that a built up computer is always going to be cheaper than a new store bought one, but what if you are not skilled enough to do it? That's the flaw in the otherwise flawless plan.

Besides, Shieldse was only looking for a computer to run his printer. A computer for that purpose alone does not need to be on the leading edge of technology. That old cream coloured tower you see in the corner of my workspace is running XP and has a 3Gb HDD, yet it quite happily runs Mach3, which is a similar type of program to Pronterface.

I agree that for doing design work and slicing, you need plenty of computing power, but Shieldse has a laptop for that. If he was to make an investment in computing power, he should upgrade the laptop because a laptop has a wider range of uses.

Old Man Emu

Sorry I dont have the money to build new. I am a Intel fan for one reason only. All the AMD's I have ever had always crashed (frequently) when the room got hotter than 80 degrees F. If you like an AMD that is nice, but please dont try to cram it down our throats. I respect anyone for having the right to chose their prefference, yet remember it is YOUR preffeerence. If Dad's tower has a AMD I will stick with it, yet I think he is a intel man as well. I will however have to update the operating system as he only had XP. I will probably get 8.1 that is supposed to have printer support. This tower will probably be down in the basement. I plan to get a PrintRbot Metal Plus from Amazon. The only other item will be that the printer will sit in a open faced box with a fusible link for the lid. That link will fail if there is any fire and seal the box containing any fire. I pray it never comes to that and feel that the user whom had a fire had done so because he let the chamber get too warm with out proper ventination. No I wont try to see what it takes to make a printer catch fire. I welcome all the advice here as it is very useful.

Student

Question

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I agree with Curious Aardvark that a built up computer is always going to be cheaper than a new store bought one, but what if you are not skilled enough to do it? That's the flaw in the otherwise flawless plan.

Besides, Shieldse was only looking for a computer to run his printer. A computer for that purpose alone does not need to be on the leading edge of technology. That old cream coloured tower you see in the corner of my workspace is running XP and has a 3Gb HDD, yet it quite happily runs Mach3, which is a similar type of program to Pronterface.

I agree that for doing design work and slicing, you need plenty of computing power, but Shieldse has a laptop for that. If he was to make an investment in computing power, he should upgrade the laptop because a laptop has a wider range of uses.

Old Man Emu

So right now I am using a 2012 macbook pro with a 2.5ghz processor and 16gigs of ram. What else do I need to look into to "upgrade" the laptop? My brother in law will build me a desktop or a laptop if I need him to. He does it all the time. And he is working with me to get me the right computer and also in building my website. I just need to know what to tell him I need as far as the conputer specs as he has never worked with 3D software or 3D printing. What specs would I need for a desktop vs a laptop? I can also have him build me a PC laptop if you are not familiar with macs. I have read all the threads here and I really appreciate all your input and help! All of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast