Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Print-a-Part 3D To Launch Marketplace this Week

The future of manufacturing seems to be based on more than just-in-time production, but made-to-order 3D printing of parts. Virginia-based Print-A-Part 3D, which will fully launch on January 1, is stocking their cyber-shelves now for their new business model. For a fee, you can download STL files for parts like screws, nuts, bolts, and more to print out on your FFF/FDM 3D printer. The Print-A-Part community includes hundreds of designers creating these parts. Read the full article for more details on this innovative business: http://3dprint.com/33355/print-a-part-3d/

Below is a screenshot from Print-A-Part 3D's marketplace:

Engineer
    I am sorry for being negative, but just no.... and again just no.

For god sake, it's standard parts... Are they trying to scam the unaware people?
    Secondly, it's a jerk move to sell standard parts for that ammount of price. Heck many CAD software include standard parts library. Ask some friend to send you an STL model for free....
    Third, unless you're printing big thread, about M6 or 1/4" bolt then you can forget the smaller components unless you do "magic". It's going to be hard, real hard with parts such as M2 or 2-56. Further, too many standard parts are just not printable right off the bat and should I say, just not possible with FDM.

Fourth, disgusted by their advertising bs in the frequently asked question....

Staff Engineer
    I don't get it either. Apart from the fact that you can download all these files for free from parts supplier's catalogs or Grabcad, which consolidates them (eg: http://grabcad.com/library/carriage-...45-sizes/files ), what use would these parts be when printed in plastic? Why would I want a carriage bolt in ABS or PLA? The utility of files like this is to use them in designing something, not for printing them. I suppose you could use your million-dollar EOS machine to print yourself a metal carriage bolt, but why do that when you can get one for 10 cents in the hardware store?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Technician
    The idea is quite good and I welcome the fact that spare parts can be downloaded to be printed. However the price is a bit too expensive.
    For those saying, why would anyone print in ABS and PLA for such parts? Well the article mentions that it are ment to be printed with other technology than FDM.
    This site have potential, but are quite (many years) to early to be a commercial success.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    The idea is quite good and I welcome the fact that spare parts can be downloaded to be printed. However the price is a bit too expensive.
    For those saying, why would anyone print in ABS and PLA for such parts? Well the article mentions that it are ment to be printed with other technology than FDM.
    This site have potential, but are quite (many years) to early to be a commercial success.
    Regardless of the tech used to print the parts, it's still not worth it to spend the money on the file, then spend the money on the material, and waste valuable machine time to print out something that can be picked up at just about any local hardware store for pennies.

Sure the next argument will be "but what about those people that don't have access to a local hardware store?" If those people can afford a metal printing machine, they can probably afford to either stock a large variety of hardware for when they need it, or they are likely to have some upper end CAD package that has all those parts built into a library to be accessed for free.

A web site straight from the nineties and $10 for an STL model of a flat washer!

http://printapart3d.com/products/flat-washer

Hi Andrew I'm still using the Freeform software system you sold me. Nice interface but the command structure and workflow really suck, and required pages of notes to be kept for kludges and workarounds. Too many passive-aggressive folk at that company!

Engineer
    This is a perfect example of technology misuse, and a perfect example of bandwagon hype, let's print everything without thinking.

Staff Engineer
    Hi Nik - I'm glad you're getting some use out of that Freeform system, even if there are some things about it that could be improved. I'd like to talk to you about your experiences with it, and maybe give the company some feedback, but we should probably do that directly instead of here. I'll send you an email.

As for that site, yes - if they sell a few washers, at least they'll get back what they paid their web designer...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Administrator
    Follow SarahA On Twitter
    We first learned about the Print-a-Part 3D marketplace idea in December, and now the company has made further progress with Amazon and Kickstarter. Bob Al and his team of engineers and business people at Print-a-Part 3D say they foresee a day when what they call "Retail Renderables" will change the way parts are created by end users. The company offers STL files of a wide variety of common fasteners through their web site, and now they've been accepted by the Amazon Brand Registry program as well. As part of their push to get the word out about the idea of retail renderables, the company has also launched a Kickstarter campaign. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/45620/print-a-part-3d-on-amazon/

Below is a look at some of the parts available from Print-a-Part 3D:

Engineer-in-Training
    AHAHAHAHA!!! 30 bucks for a star washer!?!?! I'd really like to meet the person stupid enough to buy that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast