Close

Open Source Universal Filament Extruder

Richard Horne, aka RichRap, has been working to improve the open source community of 3D printers. While a project of his last month was to create a 3D printing filament spool standard, his latest initiative takes a look at the costly materials required for 3D printers. He is working to open source the printing and assembly of a 3D printer filament pellet extruder. Following on the heels of his Universal Paste Extruder, the pellet extruder follows what he calls the "next evolutionary step" in materials use. Check out more details about this open source initiative in the full article: http://3dprint.com/32983/universal-filament-extruder/

Please feel free to discuss his design, as well as add comments, suggestions or even your own design ideas for the Universal Filament Extruder in the comments below. Below is a photo of Horne's extruder designs:

Student
    I guess if anyone can do it, he can. I just don't know how he'll deal with filament volume consistency. It's already an issue in commercial-grade filament production (keeping diameter and ovality to tight tolerances), I'm not sure how he'll keep polymer flow consistent. Good on him for trying though!