Close

MakerBot Releases 3D Printable Stegosaurus Model

MakerBot has just released another pretty awesome model to their Digital Store. This time its for a Stegosaurus Skeleton. The skelton which measures a staggering 458mm x 204mm x 286mm once assembled will run you $14.99. The complete skelton will take 48 hours to print and prints in 96 pieces, meaning it will take you quite a bit of time to assemble it as well. Further details on this Stegosaurus model can be found here: http://3dprint.com/32768/3d-printed-stegosaurus/

Let us know if you have printed and assembled this model! Below is a picture of the 3D printed Stegosaurus skeleton completely assembled:

Engineer-in-Training
    OK, it does make a big setup. But you can buy a big variety of skeleton kits for the cost of this digital model, then there's the cost of the material, especially when Makerbot will consider your warranty void if you don't use their material. Whether that's actually legal, I don't know, but it would take a lot to contest that.

Not same species, but $11 gets a 16" triceratops skeleton kit on Amazon.

"This file will be streamed and requires a constant internet connection."

That seems pretty onerous.
    Last edited by JRDM; 12-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.

This model is a colossal waste of money. The parts don't all print correctly. From what I can tell, you can't modify the quality settings, and the default quality makes the parts so brittle that many of them broke during attempted assembly. At least one part makes the printer stop performing immediately after the job is started. Another won't print properly at all. So $15 for the model, over 500k of filament, multiple days of printing, a significant amount of frustration, ended in a bunch of PLA in the garbage. This is not due to my inexperience....I've printed a significant amount and can diagnose and fix most problems on my own. This is just a bad model. So masochists everywhere, this is for you. For everyone else, save your money and PLA.