Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Student
    Add Joinc on Thingiverse
    Hi All,

I use an Ultimaker 2 at work along with a very high end Stratasys. I purchased a PowerSpec Pro for home after reading this post (and others). I did get the great $799 sale price at Microcenter. The machine gave me much troubles with PLA, which in the end was due mostly to the lack of cooling fan, once I started printing ABS I fell in love with this machine. I upgraded the fan using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537918 this one fit best with the PowerSpec Pro trapezoid shaped x-slide. This is the only way to print PLA and it works awesome with ABS too.

I had been using Cura for artistic models and slic3r for mechanical parts, but after reading this article http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/01/05.../#comment-6403 and updating the g-code posts I find that slic3r gives very good quality prints. This is due to slic3r allowing me to set extrusion width as a percent of layer thickness. Setting some values to 100% or less forces the extruder to extrude smaller widths than the 0.4mm nozzle which leads to smooth surfaces.

Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    Hi folks

Great forum - lots of great info for me (the newbie!).

I just purchased the PowerSpec 3DPro - great price, and used the extra discount to buy 1yr extended warranty.

Here's my problem (had to be one, right?!)
    While assembling the machine, I could not fit the filament guide tubes into the holes in the print head. I took the tubes back to Micro Center, and tried fitting them in their floor model... they DID fit (though much more tightly than the tube they had installed in their machine). The sales guy let me swap out their tube for one of mine. The older tube does fit in my print-head, but it is a tight squeeze, and I really don't want to exert too much pressure while inserting it.

My question is: Should I take the printer back, or try remove a bit of outer-wall thickness of the tubes, or what?

Thanks!

russ

I can help with Powerspec 3D

I can help. Reach out to me at 214-659-3003. have used the powerspec for a full year and an Airwolf 5.5 for another two. Be happy to see what we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by russr View Post
    Hi folks

Great forum - lots of great info for me (the newbie!).

I just purchased the PowerSpec 3DPro - great price, and used the extra discount to buy 1yr extended warranty.

Here's my problem (had to be one, right?!)
    While assembling the machine, I could not fit the filament guide tubes into the holes in the print head. I took the tubes back to Micro Center, and tried fitting them in their floor model... they DID fit (though much more tightly than the tube they had installed in their machine). The sales guy let me swap out their tube for one of mine. The older tube does fit in my print-head, but it is a tight squeeze, and I really don't want to exert too much pressure while inserting it.

My question is: Should I take the printer back, or try remove a bit of outer-wall thickness of the tubes, or what?

Thanks!

russ

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    personally I'd probably sand the holes in the top of the printhead a bit till the tubing was a decent fit.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    personally I'd probably sand the holes in the top of the printhead a bit till the tubing was a decent fit.
    Ya I don't know what the big deal is about it, maybe drill or ream out a bit is all.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if it's anything like mine, it's just a perspex block with 2 holes drilled in it.
    Some rough sanding cloth rolled into a tube would do the job pretty quickly.

I have been considering the PowerSpec Pro along with a Da Vinci 1.0 and a Wanhao Duplicator I3 for my first printer. The PowerSpec is about $300 more than the other options. Is the PowerSpec worth the extra money? The PowerSpec shows a "Positioning Precision" but non of the other unuts publish this info. Is the PowerSpec more accurate that the Da Vinci and Wanhao?

I have a Powerspec, DaVinci XYZ 1.1 and Airwolf 5.5. The Powerspec blows the other two away. Using a two headed printer can be a pain because even when leveled the second head often knocks the print off the bed. I ended up taking one of the nozzles off my Powerspec and use it as a single headed printer. It is much faster than the XYZ and much better detail than the Airwolf. I haven't actually turned on the other two printers in months.

Buy the Powerspec, print in ABS. Fantastic deal.

Engineer
    I actually was debating between the Powerspec and the CTC 3D Pro. I ended up ordering the CTC 3D Pro today off Ebay. New, with free shipping, for $450 bucks. I just couldn't see a reason to spend another $350 on the powerspec.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123