Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

brassFill coming from ColorFabb

Today ColorFabb has announced that they will be releasing their new brassFill filament at the end of January, 2015. What makes this filament so unique is its ability to polish up to a nice golden finish to take on the appearance of 3D printed gold! The filament will be available for preorder at the end of January, with the first deliveries being made by the end of February. Read and see more on this at: http://3dprint.com/32271/colorfabb-brassfill-filament/

What will you be 3D printing with brassFill?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nice.

Now we just need one that doesn't need to be sanded, wirewooled and polished. :-)

Banned
    Just got word that this brassfill filament is now available for sale on the Colorfabb website. Let me know if anyone tries it out!

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Now we are talking That looks gorgeous.

Just placed an order directly with them. Orderd the 750g BrassFill along with a couple of their sampler packs (clear/wood/copper/bronze and 9 color sampler of PLA/PHA). I have about a dozen projects that came to mind the moment I saw this post.

Watch the tax though. Its 21% .

If this filament works out, I can see it being used for trophy and medallion production.

The unnerving part is.....
    The material is still in beta, which means we’re still working on the formulation to get the best possible performance. Our current formulation is providing excellent results on 1.75mm direct drive printers, such as the Makerbot Replicator 2 and Prusa I3.
    The filament is slightly softer then bronzeFill and copperFill, users need to be careful with applying pressure onto the filament. We’ve found that 3D printers using a bowden tube set-up and 2.85mm filament gives the least reliable results. Users need to take extra care of not over stressing the filament, with pressure and retraction settings.
    I am running a hex hot end (all metal) and direct drive so I think I will be ok. I am not quite clear if they mean that any 2.85 dia printer has issues or just ones with a bowden.

Engineer-in-Training
    Just got my invoice email. Thought I would drop this in for my US friends...prices not going to be as high as they are on the site!

Looks like ColorFabb removed the tax from the products/order!

The page lists the price of BrassFill at €59.95. My invoice shows it at €49.55. The two €20 sample packs are listed as €16.53. And they dropped shipping from €34.95 to €28.88.

Total went from €134.90 to €111.49. So it cut almost $25 off the order total.

Engineer-in-Training
    Well, just got my shipment notification...
    Scheduled Delivery:Friday, 03/20/2015, By End of Day
    Not holding my breath on this one. Its coming from Europe too. Eindhoven, Netherlands to be exact. This one, however, is coming UPS not USPS. So we shall see.

Banned
    I wonder if this stuff can be bathed in ethyl acetate (PLA) or acetone (ABS) to skip the manual labor required for smoothing.

Engineer-in-Training
    that would only affect the binder. The brass/copper/bronze would remain unaffected and would still need to be smoothed I suspect. But you can bet once I get a good print (still trying with bronzefill), I will be experimenting with finishing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's pla based. But the only thing that makes it shine is good old fashioned elbow grease.

I had zero problems printing it. Just printed like good pla.
    But it is a lot of sanding and polishing. And unless you have a low speed buffer, you're stuck with doing it by hand.
    even on the lowest setting my rotary tool and buffer head melted the bronzefill.

But in any kind of model with crevices it's a real bastard to get it shiny.

For the protopasta steel filament I printed a simple flat shape. And I still can't get that stuff to look shiny. Bronzefill is real easy by comparison.

Engineer-in-Training
    WoodFill is also PLA based...supposedly. But, acetone affects it. Maybe it will this too.

I have yet to get a print more than 4 layers off the platform before it quits feeding. Waiting on input from ColorFabb as I have only 5m total to play with so I gotta get dialed in pretty quickly if I am to print anything of consequence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast