Close

Melissa Ng's Nightmarish 3D Printed Mask

Melissa Ng, of Lumecluster, believes that the Dreamer Revolution is taking hold. She is a designer with a focus on 3D printed masks, and her collections available on Shapeways showcase the spirit of that Revolution. The Dreamer and Nightmare Masks each highlight aspects of the dream, with Dreamer Masks (the first is called Illumination) depicting a friendly appearance while the Nightmare Masks (the first is Fear) represent the opposite. With the addition of an Adafruit EL wire, Ng created a more frightening appearance to the Nightmare Mask. Check out her work in the full article: http://3dprint.com/31689/glowing-mask-lumecluster/

Below is a photo of the illuminated Nightmare Mask: Fear:

Staff Engineer
    These masks were impressive before, but now she's taken this one to a new level. Some of the pictures of it are downright unsettling.

Which is saying something, considering there is usually nothing more "safe feeling" than white plastic with a soft blue glow.

Lol certainly pretty scary. Perhaps a teardrop running down one of the cheeks would add even more freight to it, or some blood dripping from an eye or the mouth.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    very nice, is looks like a veroni dual extrusion on a mask.. with a glow wire behind it (like the ones makergeeks sell) I wonder if I could pull something like that off on my printer... a dual extrusion mask, that would be a good printer challenge
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Staff Engineer
    Some of it looks like a veroni pattern, but along the upper left portions of the mask, it looks like it is more deteriorated even than that. Actually, when the unlit versions debuted, she mentioned that the patterns were hand-drawn, scanned, vectored and then applied to the model. It's much more obvious on the other masks on her Shapeways page. Some of them are just astounding (Emergence is my favorite one of them so far).

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Some of it looks like a veroni pattern, but along the upper left portions of the mask, it looks like it is more deteriorated even than that. Actually, when the unlit versions debuted, she mentioned that the patterns were hand-drawn, scanned, vectored and then applied to the model. It's much more obvious on the other masks on her Shapeways page. Some of them are just astounding (Emergence is my favorite one of them so far).
    Yeah some of it almost looks Fractal in nature.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com